1/48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster

kkarlsen

• 1 year later...

Terrific work Kent!

What did you use to cover the outside? Is it just normal kitchen foil or something else? Looks great!

Craig

Thanks Craig. This project is most of all a test to see if it is possible to get some life into the large surfaces of the Lanc.I decided to use heavy embossing aluminum foil for this. It can be shaped and even stretched to fit some of the curves. It doesn't wrinkle. And the rivets have been 'embossed' from the inside. 

I still don't know how this will turn out, if it was worth the effort. Hopefully I will be able to show the result in the next post?

Regards: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

That was my surprise as well dodgem. I was convinced there was  a co-pilot. 

The Flight Engineer, sitting slightly behind and to the pilot's right controlled the throttles and flaps on take-off and usually had some basic form of instruction on flying the plane once airborne in case of emergencies though landing was a different matter altogether.  Later in the war years when there was a surfeit of pilots available, some re-trained as F/Es which must have been comforting to the other crew members!  Here is one such:

jJ7sMg.jpg

Flight Sergeant Max Venton, F/E ME453 (POL-L) of 467 sqdn RAAF.

Max

Late to this party.  Apologies.  I am surprised to see that this aircraft didn't have a co-pilot.  I like the strong diagonal of the scheme.  Any follow-up on the PBY?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Well Mark, I hate to have too many loose ends, so I'm trying to tie some of them up before getting started on new adventures ;-)

Regarding the PBY - I've still not decided 100 % which plane to make, although I have gotten a new very strong candidate...

Kind regards: Kent

This is the plane I've decided to do:

7698-100917205343-12164989.jpeg

Text from IWM:  Avro Lancaster B Mark I, PD337 'JO-V', of No. 463 Squadron RAAF, preparing for take off from Waddington, Lincolnshire, on a daylight operation. PD337 was specially converted for filming Bomber Command operations, being fitted with a number of camera positions and used by cameramen of the Royal Air Force Film and Photographic Unit. It was later transferred to No. 5 Group Film Unit.

7698-100917205343-121651092.jpeg

Text AWM: Lincolnshire, England. 1945-03-16. 424082 Pilot Officer Robert Arthur Buckland, RAAF, with his movie camera at a cut-away hatchway of one of the specially adapted Lancaster aircraft of No. 463 Squadron RAAF, based at RAF Station Waddington, used both for bombing and cinematography. Buckland is one of eight who fly from English bases in Australian Lancaster aircraft of RAF Bomber Command to make film records of heavy bomber attacks for the RAF Film Production Unit. The film Buckland and his fellow cameramen produce is seen in newsreels exhibited throughout the world.

This Lancaster (PD337/JO-V) was later used by the No 5 Group Film Unit, and it filmed many of No 617
Sqn's operations in late 1944 and early 1945, including the attacks on the Tirpitz
(No 617 'Dambuster' Sqd - Osprey  Aviation Elite Units)
Edited by kkarlsen