Revell 1:144 767 - Delta Airlines

LSP_K2

You might find the flattened area is also an "area rule" location due to localised supersonic airflows..just sayin'

The only supersonic airliner I'm aware of having existed, was the Concorde, so I doubt it's that.

OK, more snail pace modeling here. Here are two comparative snaps, one that has not been altered, and one that has been stretched. Still lots to do to get these ready for paint.

TKJf40.jpg

RnimDl.jpg

If you do some research you'll find localised supersonic airflow is a real thing and before computised fluid dynamics, aerodynamic designers used the area rule to eliminate the shockwaves it caused. Before it was understood, the buffet encountered at Mach numbers above about .8 were thought to be indicative of the approaching wall of death called "the sound barrier "..basically speaking, as air accelerates around curved surfaces, it approaches Mach 1 even though the aircraft is traveling much slower, and a small supersonic shockwave is caused. This is most noticeable around wings and tail surfaces. The shockwaves can cause vibrations and loss of control effectiveness

Can not wait to see the finished model and being Delta airlines that means a bare metal belly. Are you going to use Alclad for that. I have used it and if the model is prepared properly you will end up with a realistic finish. Good luck with your model and keep us posted.

• 2 years later...

Going through this one, replacing all of my pictures (thanks, Photobucket, I really appreciate it), as this one is back on the bench now, at least for a while anyway. I seem to have misplaced the stabs, but if need be I can rob them from one of my other Revell USA kits.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, window putty all sanded out now, exposing the inevitable low points, which I'm patching with surfacer. Still a couple of hours of sanding/polishing to go, then it'll be primer time. I've also decided to enter this in the OOB category here in September, so I'll not be adding, nor changing, anything else.

GnN4RK.jpg