Tally Ho on the target....5/12/2017 Everything done but the prop

Collin

When I saw that pilot I thought "Hub Zemke's spotted Gunther Rall!" :)

As for the comments regarding the propellor. It's a bit like one drummer telling another drummer he doesn't like they guy's choice of cymbals. As if it's his business what another artist prefers.

Professional musicians never do that. Only those drummers pro's refer to as, "Muppets". Muppets never become pro's.

Play it the way you feel it and screw anyone who doesn't like it, I reckon.

:goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:

It's OK to disagree on the looks of something.

I think representing spinning props for an in-flight model is as allusive as is the perfect NMF to represent WWII aircraft....it will continue to be a work in progress. I will be dealing with the NMF issue later in my build.

PropBlur is the closest thing I have seen to date, other than no prop at all and just the propeller hub/spinner (which I don't prefer)...which represents a spinning prop.

Cheers

Collin

Its about time someone produced these as an aftermarket item.

Perfect for me as I do not bother with landing gear but hang models from the ceiling.

Right on. :punk:

Stephen

As to criticism, well some things just rub some guys the wrong way to such an extent that they have to open their mouths.

I understand that. What I do is I write all my nasty comments and instead of posting them I go look at a different topic which deletes what I wrote since I did not post it. That way I let my venom out of my system and do not insult anyone. 

Collin,

Just found your WIP thread, and I really like your conept for the build. In flight isn't anything new, but with your attention to the pilots focus and the banking of his Jug, you've added that so often missing element to help bring it the next level which really grabs the viewers eye. The motion of the prop is nearly impossible to perfectly create in a static position, but used as a supporting element in your display, the viewer will just quickly glance at the prop and get a sense of motion,  then move his focus to the rest of the display.

You've also repositioned the Ailerons to further enhance the feeling of banking during flight.

Joel

With other words, waist of money, they look terrible to me. Hey, it's just little old me, my opinion on this. But Iff your happy about it then please do so. :innocent:

Ha ha..I have to agree with Theo...I never thought they looked all that realistic.

Honestly, these are not really meant to be seen from super close up. If you take them for what they are, and judge accordingly, they can really accentuate a project  

Let's get it clear, guys. I can't speak for Theo, but my criticism is with the product, not with anyone's work. When I first saw these with Max's Spitfire, I thought they were pretty ingenious and looked good -- from a DISTANCE. Up close, they look like what they look like.  A well built model is not admired from a distance. Now is there a better implementation? I can't think of anything other than actually adding some motors to your model.

Perhaps if those things could be made with something more transparent, it can be made to look more realistic...

IIRC, there was a "clear" one produced. I've even seen a few use clear CD's with a little paint on them. It is an individuals choice.........Harv

As the rudder and horizontal stabs cure from gluing, I grabbed some old P-40 parts and thought about how I am going to tackle the NMF.

Think I settled on a base coat of Alclad Duraluminium followed by a finger rubbing of AK True Metal Interactive aluminum paste, followed by selective rubbing of graphite powder on selected panels. The Alclad/AK True Metal paste are pretty hardy and didn't peal up when I put tape on it, but the graphite powder is going to just pull right up and rub off. So I coated it with a thin layer of Alclad Aqua Semi-sheen which seems to keep the metal look.

NMF....it's a tough nut to crack. You want a used look but still some sheen to the metal.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN7761.jpg

DSCN7763.jpg

DSCN7764.jpg

DSCN7766.jpg

Edited by Collin

I have that AK metal paste will use them on selective panels as well. What I noticed about them is that they don't look as "grainy" with flash photography compared to metal finishes I apply with my AB (because no matter how much I practice, I can't seem to get it right).