Revell 1:32 Spitfire IIa with some 'improvements'

Iain

Hi all,

Firstly - apologies for not being about much recently - busy with D-Day 70 event/flying exped to Peenemunde/RIAT - followed by the death of one of my flying buddies in a motorcycle accident last Monday.

So basically gone from some brilliant experiences - but no time for modelling, to bad week and really not in the mood.  :(

To try and break that and put mind on something more positive - I'm going to finally make a start on the new Spit. As one of the many things Tony did in his life was to take the controls of a two seat Spit this one's for you mate!

OK - before I wade in - I won't pretend this is in any way definitive - it will include some mods I'll make following reference to photos/drawings/published dimensions/other kits - but my aim is to make a nice looking Spitfire - something I think easily achievable with this kit. What's more - it cost me the princely sum of £18 and I'd hate to waste it!  :)

For anyone that followed my He219 build I'd like to keep this thread on a similar - and positive - note throughout. Please chip in if you spot anything - and feel free to throw in discussion points. I really enjoyed building the UHU - and learned a huge amount in the process - but it was very much down to all the help I had from you lot!!

EDIT - as I type this I've got two Spits overhead - quite auspicious!

So - before I start...

Kit fuselage:

IMG_3112.jpg

Top Hasegawa, middle new Revell, bottom Tamiya:

IMG_3113.jpg

Kit with Hasegawa Vb/Revell Hasegawa IIa fuselage (note difference in length from firewall (almost line-up perfectly - to front of cowl - don't ask which is right just yet):

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

Hasegawa Vb/Revell Hasegawa IIa and Tamiya fuselage:

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

Tamiya and Revell IIa fuselage:

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

Comparison has already been made between the Tamiya kit and the new Revell one in Jen's excellent post - nothing further to add. Interesting to note that the nose is quite a lot longer than the Hasegawa Vb - more investigation needed - but otherwise it matches quite closely in profile - if not cross section.

Back in a mo...

Iain

Right oh - now to start...

One of the first things I spotted were the fuselage sides - around the cockpit - appear to bulge out a little when viewed from above (or finger run along the sides) - and will need sanding back. Area is marked in red on photos - but actually are that needs modding extends further towards the firewall too.

Likewise there is additional material on the wing roots that could do with removing - again as marked below. Not sure if I'll need to pack the area behind to prevent sanding all the way through - we'll see:

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

Off to do some work - back laters...

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Nice to see you starting the Revell Spit. Will be following with great interest as my Spitfire arrived a few days ago.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Port side wing root in progress...

Using the power tool and round grinding bit to remove most of the excess plastic:

IMG_3128.jpg

Before wading in with 280/400/600/1200 grit wet and dry wrapped around a pen:

IMG_3130.jpg

Looking better - still a little more to go methinks - but looks like there's enough 'meat' there to avoid any backfilling (modified left - kit right):

IMG_3132.jpg

Total time so far - about 20 mins.

Back soon...

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Perfect! This is the exact build/review/how to fix build we've been waiting for and combined with Derek's review/corrects ... we're going to the perfect How To.

Keep 'em coming :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Cheers Peter - not sure if/what/how yet - but we'll see!

Starboard wing root reshaped to match port - check...

Get rid of most of the cockpit 'bulge' with sharp scalpel:

IMG_3134.jpg

Shape and blend with coarse sanding stick:

IMG_3135.jpg

Sand/polish with 240/400/600/1200 grit wet and dry:

IMG_3136.jpg

And shaping done (not that you can see much!!):

IMG_3137.jpg

All for now - I'm off to get a bottle of Hobgoblin...

Iain

Great stuff Iain (Sorry to hear about your friend - please accept my condolences).

Between my review and your build, it should be interesting to see how we both differ in our approaches to correcting any inherent kit faults (I have already tackled the bulged/wide fuselage issue on my kit in a different manner to yours).

Good luck - I shall be following with interest.

:popcorn:

Derek

Hiya Derek - thanks - appreciated...

Fuselage bulges - have just addressed the surface 'bulge' at present - when I get to the stage where I've got the 'pit and bulkheads done I'll be dry fitting and measuring width - if necessary remove some material from the internal bulkhead/former and clamp whilst drying - but still not sure that'll be needed as yet.

Just filling a load of rivets with paint - back soon!  :)

Iain

Guest Peterpools

iain

My condolences on the loss of one of your flying buddies. Loosing a close friend is hard to comes to terms with and my prayers go out to you and his family.

Peter

Last for this evening...

Filling all those rivets!

A fine chisel brush has been used to apply Tamiya Matt Black paint to the rivets I want to hide - especially on the rear fuselage where they should be raised.

Black - so that they show up where I've been - and Tamiya - because it's tougher than many other acrylics - yet still easy to sand - unlike filler!

No panel joints have been filled.

Raised rivets and overlapping panels will be done after the fuselage has been assembled and cleaned up. So - paint drying (don't get too excited!  ;) ):

IMG_3138.jpg

And port half after paint has gone off (it's very warm this evening  :) ) - surface wet sanded with 1200 grit wet and dry - wet. Simples!

IMG_3139.jpg

On with the cockpit next.

Laters...

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Sweet progress. Am I to assume there will be no rivet detail where the rivets had been filled in except on the tail.

Peter

Nope - have rivet decals I'll be using where appropriate on the rear fuselage.

There are a number that I haven't filled and these are on removeable panels etc..

The port fuselage will get another sand/polish in the am when I know the paint is nice and hard (I'll sand back the other side shortly).

Overlapping skin will be done with spray paint and masking tape - just like I did on the UHU.

Iain