1/32 Revell SBD Dauntless and Corsair

LSP_Matt

Here's some pics of a couple of USN Birds I've finshed with. Both have been built without landing gear so that I could pose them with a stand as 'in flight'.

Again, sorry for not posting more 'in progress' shots but digi camera and software issues had previously been problematic.

Engine of the Corsair...I tried replacing the pushrods in this

post-4-1128841576.jpg

I must say I had agonising trouble painting these planes. I just couldn't get the blues anywhere near correct. All the blues looked very grey whereas warbirds and other models I'd looked at had lovely contrasting blues. In the end I just had to finish them to clear the bench space.

This blue looked ever so grey in real life

post-4-1128841791.jpg

Only after spending some time on LSP did I also decide I'd regress a step. I went over the old work and scribed some panel lines. I tried to accentuate panel lines with washes and darker mix of paint.

post-4-1128842024.jpg

For panel lines I'd done a black wash with oils but then decided the top colour was so dark there was no contrast. I used a pale blue pastel which was rubbed on. Some of the darker blue top coat had been rubbed off with alchohol to reveal the underlying layers.

The exhaust pipes are drilled and cue tip shafts.

Not sure why the wings tips look different colour...maybe just the lambient light becasue they look pretty much the same to the naked eye.

Its not quite what I really want to achieve but you've gotta start somewhere I guess.

post-4-1128842505.jpg

Kit came with a useful decal panel. Again, lovely decals from Revell

I added a sight and shield to the MG from inadequate reference...at least it makes the model more interesting, even if its not factually correct.

Oh...no matter how hard I tried, it was nigh on impossible to get the kit supplied canopy pieces to resemble fitting.

post-4-1128843467.jpg