My new project - 1/32 Mirage F1

Loic

Hi !

well, it's been a raining most of the weekend so that was the perfect opportunity to make some progress on the Mirage project  ;)

I decided to start with the nose / pit area because the shapes are rather complicated so I thought it would be a good test for what's ahead...

I started from a styren skeleton :

DSC04097_zpsdrraxmw6.jpg

Then, a first layer of styren is applied. It is imprtant that is in one signle piece (or as low as possible number) and it has to be very well positionned (if not perfect) as this will reduce the amount of work needed in the next steps:

DSC04098_zpswqc0btpb.jpg

DSC04099_zps1bpynpqz.jpg

Then, I used small stripes of styren to apply the secon layer. It is important that the stripes' alignment matches the shape to get both curves and strengh. The horizontal stripes match the canopy line.

DSC04100_zpsibv9c09n.jpg

continue untill it's all covered

DSC04101_zpsucmy2xqt.jpg

It is a bit "dirty" so far and all joints are filled with CA glue. Once dry: sanding action ! (the better the first and second layers, the less sanding...)

DSC04102_zpssw0smotb.jpg

DSC04104_zpsc12ghchf.jpg

You may see that the section goes from round to square (with rounded corners), it also varies in width ... and the alignment is done from the bottom edge, not centre of section... the most complicated job is to make the skeleton "good" in fact.

Getting ready for third layer now... this will be the finishing layer onto which the scribbing will apply.

Last but not least, during all the process, the nose part has about 1 extra cm on each side (top, front and rear) that will need to be trimed at the end: it is important to get smooth joint when I will mate the rear end o the AC, canopy or the nose cone.

Thanks for following !!

Edited by Loic

Hi

Wow!!!!! this is an ambitious project !!!! this is with this kind of built , that we can make the difference between a .. modeler ( in the strict terms), and the rest of " world" .... this one ( built) reminds me of this 1/32 Mirage 4000 built a few time ago by Emmanuel Gato .....can I wish you a good luck,
Alain
http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71088

Edited by alain11

Thanks for the kind words Alain  ;)

I had never seen this M4000 build before and all I can say is WOW, incredible !!

I recon the build process share the same spirit, I only hope I can end up with something half this good has this would already be quite an achivement !

Guest Peterpools

Loic

What a scratch build ... going to be a fantastic project and you're off to a great strat

Keep 'em coming

Peter