Seafire L Mk.2C

dani7705

Hi Dani, apologies, just a little bit of light humour.  The quote is a slight misquote of a line in the Battle of Britain film.  Young inexperienced pilot attempts to land with undercarriage up (alas all too common in those days, when a Spitfire was probably the first aircraft he'd flown with a retractable u/c).  He gets a red flare, realises his mistake, goes round again and lands.  Greeted by the Flight Sergeant who asks "Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it Sir?" "Why yes ...it was." he says, thinking to save his embarrassment, and FS advises him not to tell the CO that.

Anyway, as a bit of a Spitfire fan, I stick to modelling flaps up unless the aircraft is on its final approach or rolling out.  And I fully agree that anyone may depict the flaps down if they so choose, but I usually put the comment. No offence taken, I hope, and I say again, a great model, beautifully built and finished.  An unusual variant too, in that one doesn't see models of Seafires very often.  So well done.

This Seafire also has their flaps down ... Can I understand it as a pre-take inspection..

large_000000.jpg

That's an interesting photo.  I don't think it's immediately pre-takeoff, that doesn't appear to be a pilot in the cockpit, and the cowl is off, and there are too many people milling about. Perhaps preparation for launch, or rectification?  And as you rightly say, the flaps are down.  They were usually only used for landing; they were pneumatically operated, and had only two positions: fully up or fully (90 degrees) down.   However, one technique for short take-offs, which was used for launching the Malta Spitfires from the carrier on their delivery flights, was this.  Drop the flaps; insert wedge of wood whilst pilot raises flaps again: flaps are now at a suitable angle to give a bit of extra lift at take-off.  After take-off, pilot briefly lowered flaps, and then raised them again, the wood insert dropped out.  A bit of a "lash-up", but it worked.  So perhaps it was used elsewhere as well?

Anyway, great model, and I hope I didn't offend.

Edited by MikeC

Incidentally, can I ask which Tamiya paints (or mixes) you used for the upper surface colours?  I use mostly Tamiya myself, and your colours look spot-on.

Edited by MikeC

Incidentally, can I ask which Tamiya paints (or mixes) you used for the upper surface colours?  I use mostly Tamiya myself, and your colours look spot-on.

Excellent  build, just enough 'weathering' too.... I'm with MikeC, I'm VERY curious as to the paint colors as well.....

Hello boys,

Thanks for the original explanation, the movie I look at. :rolleyes:  I used these colors: DSG - XF62+XF55,EDSG - XF24..The individual shades are lightened or darkened and I added different filters, EDSG - dark blue, DSG - beige .. :rolleyes: Thank you!

One of my favourite variants of one of my favourite aircraft - a superb model and conversion Dani with a just so finish. Lovely stuff.

Did you do a build tread anywhere?

Torben