Hobby Boss IL-2M3 (*DONE* and more pics added to Pg.7!)

mywifehatesmodels

Thanks everyone!

I think it looks great! In context on this Russian beast, I think the less crisp markings and freehand numbering look very appropriate.............especially after looking at those 1:1 photos.

Brian,

The more I looked at the photos, I started to think the same thing. Not trying to justify my own screw ups, but the real thing doesn't appear to have been perfect, either. Now, the fact that the stars and bort numbers on the fuselage sit a bit too low...that's certainly all on me! :innocent:

I think I'm going to shoot a light, flat coat on the stars today, then do another round of touch ups on them before the final weathering. Hopefully, this will seal off the initial layers of paint and make fixing them a little easier.

Thanks again, all!

John

Well, I think I'm going to call this one done (just noticed that I still have to put the landing gear indicators on, but close enough).

This build has a lot of "firsts" for me. It's the first Soviet aircraft I've ever done in a scale larger than 1/48. It's the first Hobby Boss kit I've ever done. It's my first time using Montex masks, AKAN paints and the first time I've made a serious attempt at weathering with oils. Oh, and the first time I've tried the hairspray technique for some of the paint chipping, as well. Given all that, plus a self-induced issue with masking the markings and a few small details that I either omitted or maybe could have done better on, I think it looks okay. I still plan on doing the single seat IL-2 and the IL-2M, someday. So, hopefully I can improve on those now that I have this one under my belt. I might have to stick my Mig 3 and at least one I-16 in the lineup before I get to those, however! :)

I have some indoor photos that I took, but still can't seem to get the lighting how I would like it. I'll keep working on that for future builds. I might have a chance to get some outdoor pics, tomorrow. Hard to say, though. The weather may say otherwise. So, on with the pics. (Edit: Feel free to ask questions. I know I failed to document a lot of things in the final stages of this build :sorry: , so I would gladly explain what I did if anyone wants to know.)

Thanks again to everyone!

John

1_zpsea786a2a.jpg

2_zps781b0d2c.jpg

5_zps607e5f1f.jpg

17_zps941d5ab5.jpg

22_zps4f210aad.jpg

24_zps5e1f7bc4.jpg

Guest Peterpools

John
well done. You had to over come a lot of obstacles and a lot of first. Terrific work and aces on the cammo

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks, everyone!

I was able to get out for a few pics today, despite the 33 degree temp. The wind was light and the sun was a little stronger than I would have liked (no real cloud cover), but this was probably as good as it's going to get for the next few months. Needless to say, it was a quick photo shoot. I didn't want to get the model too cold, then bring it back in to a heated area, for fear that the seams would pop.

Thanks again for following along.

John

OD2_zps9b5e0e6d.jpg

OD4_zps422b6804.jpg

OD6_zpsa3e6d714.jpg

OD8_zpsb18695f7.jpg

OD13_zps41ddb68e.jpg

OD14_zpsc0b8de0b.jpg

A great build.

The decals on the QB exhaust stubs worked really nicely.  They look great with a coat of paint.

I think I can empathise with your pain on the stars and red paint but how you resolved it ended up creating a really authentic look.  I really like the markings.

Great job.

Whats going in the field in the background of the last few shots?  Looks like a grain field.  Pretty flat country by the looks.

Matty