F-4J Phantom II

Oh and Ray,

While you're right about the red edges being a warning marker your wrong about them being phased out. So you should include them Dave. A super simple way to do the red edge is to "draw it on" with a fine tip red Sharpie pen.

I stand corrected! It looks a lot more subtle than the red on the white/lt gray schemes. I should have noticed it from my pics at Reno.

Good tip on the Sharpie!!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I recieved an 'insurance policy' that I think will allow me to really get started on this build.

The intakes have, to be honest, had me intimidated and making excuses for not getting going. Then I found this site and discovered that there are resin FOD covers available once more! Since I am a big fan of this kit I went ahead and ordered three sets which arrived today. They're really nicely done, too! As far as I can see all one needs to do is wash them and paint them. No casting block to remove, nothing to sand. Sweet!

I'm reminded of what Big Kev always quotes Brian as saying: It's only plastic! (or in this case, resin)

One thing I know for sure is that, even if I completely botch the resin intakes, I can still use the kit parts. These give the lagging confidence enough of a boost to stop being a baby and start building a Rhino! :)

Now let's see what I can get done this weekend.....

Thanks, Kev.... :rolleyes:

Today started with the total re-organization of the 'shop', otherwise known as the dining room in my apartment. It made a lot more space to work, and I never actually eat there anyway.

Then the major surgery began. There's very little to remove from the intakes so that was easy. There is quite a lot that needs to be removed from the kit fuselage to make them fit however. I discovered that the BMF Scriber is brilliant for cutting all the way through the plastic very cleanly! Beats using a saw and much less to clean-up afterwards.

Here's after the first bit of surgery.

Surgery1800x.jpg

I am pretty stoked!

After all the worrying I did about these intakes, based largely on the fact that I've done so little cutting or modifying any kits I've built, they're going really well.

Not exactly 'drop-in easy'..

DropInEasy800x.jpg

And thank heavens I saw the review on LSP about adding the .030mm strip! It made all the difference getting the fit even close.

030mmStrip800x.jpg

After a good amount of thinning, fitting, cutting, fitting and repeating. This is just sitting in place. I can tell the .030mm strip made it just right because the hole in the back of the splitter plate fell right onto the pin and it sits right down on the wing assembly. Whew!! One more to go...

Dryfit1800x.jpg

Today started with the total re-organization of the 'shop', otherwise known as the dining room in my apartment. It made a lot more space to work, and I never actually eat there anyway.

you`re not married, are you? i just tried to imagine what my wife would do to me when i would do that :)

excellent work so far

you`re not married, are you? i just tried to imagine what my wife would do to me when i would do that :unsure:

excellent work so far

:blink:

No I'm divorced. I can also say that the divorce preceded my taking up the hobby again, so nobody can blame model building for the demise of a marriage!

Thanks for looking!

i´m devorced and remarried, i didnt mean to imply that it had something to do with modelling :lol:

its easy to talk for me, i got a dedicated modellingroom/office just for me ;)

You implied no such thing, I was just being a goof. The Ex might've liked it better if I did have a hobby back then, who can tell with the fairer sex?

I'm waiting for the SSculptor to chime in with some fairer sex advice here. I too have a temple of plastic in my front room...along with computers,joystick,pedals...oh...and there's a seat for a guest.

Top job on the intakes. Handy having those little review tips to make your building life a little easier. I'm a bit like you in not having used resin much in the past so cutting and shuting kits ( especially spendy ones) is fraught with stress and uncertainty. I loved your insurance policy. :lol:

great work...cheers Matty

They're IN!

The intakes, that is. These things turned into almost sperate builds in themselves. :ph34r: Compounded by the fact that I have zero experience with resin or cutting models apart. Everything fit, and yet nothing fit. (fitted?) The splitter plates almost fit, the engine faces almost fit, the intakes almost fit, etc. The farther along I went, the more I discovered that I needed to tweak one thing here, adjust another thing there. It was loads of fun in the end though! I almost forgot I was risking a 'spendy' (to quote Matty) kit after a while. <_<

There is still going to be a lot of body-work to get the seams right between the resin and plastic on the exterior, followed by lots of scribing to get the panel lines back along those seams.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow so you can see how they came out. I just was pretty excited that they're in, and they fit now, and they look soooo much better than the kit intakes that all the work was well worth it!

Now.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz