FW190 A5 - White 1 - Hasegawa

simon417

Hey everyone,

I got this one wrapped last week.  I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.  I learned a lot on this build.  I use Model Master guns and pitot tube, they are great looking and fairly easy to use (as long as you get everything in straight before the CA sets).    It was also my first time using Eagle Cals.  I used them with Microsol and Microset, and I'm thinking I did something wrong as they began to eat through the paint, when I was putting the no step dashes down.  Needless to say, the decals got trashed so I masked it off and painted them on (they're a bit too thick).    The Eagle Cal decals for the cowling went down very well for me, I only need to touch up a few with paint after the fact. i put all decals on after a few coats of Testors Laquer Glossy Clear (worked really well, I was out of the Tamiya X-22).

Construction was pretty straight forward but I screwed up the left gear leg, it's angled too far forward. I also missed a few seams at the wing root, I'm still getting the hang of putty and sanding everything smooth.  The cockpit was only okay painting wise, so I opted to have the canopy closed.

Painting.  Well, this was interesting.  I used Badger Stynlrenz black primer and it's excellent.  Goes on great, smooth and doesn't pull up when it's masked.  I tried to use Doog's black basing technique for all but i think it only really turned out well on the bottom.    The biggest issue I had was with the Vallejo Model Air colours I used.  I used the Model Air RLM's (Upper 75/74, Lower 76) as per the Eagle Cal information but to me they just don't look correct. I'm not an experten by any means but they just look off.  Finished up with the testor gloss coat, then used Tamiya's panel liner (worked great).

I also used a few Mig pigments (black, earth) but I don't have the hang of them yet, so they are barely noticeable.

The other valuable lesson (read mistake) learned was to not partially unmask the canopy and then shoot the flat coat on.  The lesson learned was that Testors Lacquer Airbrush cleaner takes off Tamiya Flat Clear with no issues what so ever.

Aerials are E-Z line.  How do you guys make the various insulators etc on German planes?  I've seen blobs of glue but I've seen some that look identical to period pictures.  So I'm assuming scratch building them.

That's it.  I'm interested to hear what you all think of the build.  

Thanks!

Simon

IMG_7525_zps3b08mow5.jpg

IMG_7534_zps4fbporcv.jpg

IMG_7535_zpsqots7gqm.jpg

IMG_7536_zpsyyyjuspy.jpg

IMG_7537_zpsitu0kehk.jpg

IMG_7539_zpsc3syvsxv.jpg

IMG_7541_zps3f7oo2ou.jpg

IMG_7542_zpsbqswlcr3.jpg

Edited by smoke417

Simon,

Good looking build!  Since you requested some feedback:

1.  You colors look OK to me, your pictures are just a little dark so it's hard to tell for sure but Vallejo is usually pretty good.

2.  Next build watch the flaps, Hasegawa got this wrong on the kit.  The flaps fully deployed only extended to 65 degrees but the mounting pegs are molded so that they extend nearly to 90 degrees.  You can fix this easily with a little minor surgery.  The interior portions should be painted RLM 02 just like the landing gear bay.

3.  I just use the white glue method for the insulators and small gague steel springs for the tensioner.  Some people use plastic rod and then shape it to a cone for the insulators but I've never been able to get them small enough to where they look right.