Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22 | Revell ex Matchbox 1:32

Kendzior

Hi All

Some more work in the wheel wells. I think now they look busy enough, maybe will add some pipes and wires.

96vsJo.jpg

Q1LT54.jpg

6Kbp3t.jpg

In search of references I decided to buy a book about Rhodesian late mark Spitfires (Malloch's Spitfire: The Story and Restoration of PK350, by Nick Meikle), describing the restoration of Malloch's Spitfire F Mk.22. What a wonderful book, I tell you.

There are several photos and drawings showing the camouflage of Rhodesian Spitfires after the delivery in 1951. 
They have been repainted from High Speed Silver to something, what is called here as High Altitude Blue.

W42hGo.jpg

What do you think, Mates - will glossy light ghost grey be a good match?

Best regards
Hubert

The works continue. Added the guns, some more work will be necessary, as the fit is poor - the wing mounts for the guns are a little bit flat, so the guns, which are circular in cross-section are just pushing the wings' halves apart - despite my efforts to make the holes wider. 

Have also drilled the 1 mm wide holes in the engine covers, which will be used to make the "fasteners" of the sliced plastic 0,8 mm rod. 

yoAHti.jpg

gClvN9.jpg

oq7Bv5.jpg

rHyBGA.jpg

0770t5.jpg

Jb1KNx.jpg

k2pofo.jpg

As for the camouflage, using two articles found in Model Airplane International as "references" I decided to paint the airframe in RAF medium sea grey. Looks blue enough to call it High Altitude Blue.

Best regards

Hubert

Many thanks for your nice comments, Mates :)

Actually, I don't think I have done anything special here, that's just filing, sanding, scribing and riveting, few pieces of brass or plastic here and there - these simple things applied to this kit can indeed make it appear to look a lot better (from some distance).

And what's the most important is an inspiration. This inspiration came from outstanding builds I have found here, on LSP forum  :bow:

The next poor thing in this kit is the landing gear.

Couldn't find anything designed for Mk. 22/24, but... last Friday the postman delivered this small item:

wyFyJB.jpg

I think it will do the job. By the way, delivery from US to Poland took only 4 days from the date of order! Thank you SAC :)

I have also ordered resin 3 spoke wheels for Tamiya from MasterCasters, hope they will fit together, should arive next week.

Stay tuned :)

Best regards

Hubert

Many thanks for your nice comments, Mates :)

Actually, I don't think I have done anything special here, that's just filing, sanding, scribing and riveting, few pieces of brass or plastic here and there - these simple things applied to this kit can indeed make it appear to look a lot better (from some distance).

Best regards

Hubert

kimk1.gif

:P

Thanks, Mark :)

A quick update.

Formation lights installed (used a part of the clear sprue out of the kit's box, had to reduce its diameter slightly), started to add the engine covers' fasteners, and the gaps in the leading edge of wings after installation of the guns filled and filed smooth.

faPXMN.jpg

q7XsiV.jpg

YD1xRZ.jpg

Best regards
Hubert

Hubert, the 22 had longer gear legs than the VIII so you may want to try lengthening them. I'm going to use the stock Tamiya gear legs and splice two sets together to get a more accurate length. The nice thing about turn is they are hollow so it'll be easy to reinforce them with metal rods after.

I can check to see if I have extra legs if you want to try the same thing.

By the way, your build has made me decide to try and add some extra panel line and rivet detail to mine.

Carl

I am just blown away. I love the look of this late mark Spit, and tried building this kit. Threw it against the wall in frustration. You have done a terrific job getting it to this stage knowing the challenge you had just getting the parts to fit. How did you do it?

Cheers

Collin

Thanks, Mates.

Hubert, the 22 had longer gear legs than the VIII so you may want to try lengthening them. I'm going to use the stock Tamiya gear legs and splice two sets together to get a more accurate length. The nice thing about turn is they are hollow so it'll be easy to reinforce them with metal rods after.

I can check to see if I have extra legs if you want to try the same thing.

By the way, your build has made me decide to try and add some extra panel line and rivet detail to mine.

Carl

Yes, I'm aware of this and going to adjust the gear legs by lengthening them. Piece of the sprue and metal rod should do the job. Thanks for your comment and proposition, highly appreciated :)

I am just blown away. I love the look of this late mark Spit, and tried building this kit. Threw it against the wall in frustration. You have done a terrific job getting it to this stage knowing the challenge you had just getting the parts to fit. How did you do it?

Cheers
Collin

The kit itself isn't that bad, but I can fully understand you - had very similar feelings at first approach and left started kit for a year or so. During that year I have practiced on short run kits (like Arsenal VG.36 from Azur) and learned to be more patient.

As for the improvements - in fact all the things applied here are quite simple and don't look that good on close-ups, but good enough to say: yes, it's better than out of box :D.

Speaking about improvements, maybe you would like to see the gunsight as proposed by Matchbox/Revell? But there's no gunsight in the box... Therefore I will install this beautiful CMK resin Mk. II gyro gunsight miniature:

vt9Omy.jpg

Which means that I will be able to close the cockpit and start painting soon.

Stay tuned :)

Best regards

Hubert