PCM 1/32 Tempest Build

alaninaustria

Alan, AFAIK, there are lots of pics of land based aircraft with gun holes taped up. Hope this helps.....Harv  :popcorn:

Edited by Guest

Thats great feedback gentlemen! Much appreciated! I just noticed that Montex Masks offers a Maxi Mask for this aircraft; so I went ahead and ordered one!! (MM32145 HAWKER TEMPEST MkVc PCM 32016 1/32) :)

Thanks again for the feedback and the kind words! Can't wait to get this bird done!!

Cheers

Alan

Montex Masks: http://www.montex-mask.com/en/ofertaShow.php?skala=1/32&maska=MAXI%20MASK&current=maxi_mask_1_32

Edited by alaninaustria

Okay, moved ahead with a few small jobs today that really should have been dealt with earlier on in the construction phase, but that I currently recognized needed attention! I determined that the main spinner and back plate required a more solid base upon which to be mounted and that would also allow for some movement. The kit basically does not have any centered mounting pin (for the spinner) upon which to be mounted... so, I went ahead and using my lathe I turned a section of old sprue to the required diameter, located and precisely marked the center of the rear spinner back plate, and drilled the back plate with the correct size of drill bit and, conversely the opening that is provided on the front of the kit... I was worried about damaging my paint job and/or cracking open a glued seam, but thank goodness nothing negative happened! I always learn something from each and every build... next time; I will double check that all small construction jobs are actually finished prior to going ahead with the painting!

I'll let the following photos speak for themselves....

photo001_zps6a91c4f7.jpg

photo002_zps4da9916b.jpg

photo004_zpsade2506b.jpg

photo003_zps7a49518d.jpg

photo005_zps6193b2a6.jpg

That's it for now... next will be to finish up the main gear and the tailwheel area... one of my favorite areas to work on!!

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Good morning everybody! Just a quick update with a few shots for my latest bench time:

I was able to paint in the pilots/ground crew walkways, both port and starboard plus the leading edge (LE) yellow identification stripes...

imagejpg1_zps09a94542.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsbf077ff0.jpg

imagejpg1_zps45e2485f.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsc3ffdf53.jpg

imagejpg4_zps2a1b8e6d.jpg

imagejpg6_zps45e2485f.jpg

imagejpg8_zpsf9c1e507.jpg

imagejpg5_zps08807e31.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsc7a9ff70.jpg

I predominantly use Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya Acrylics - for the anti-slip walkways I used Gunze "Tire Black" and for the yellow I used a mix up of Gunze "RLM 04 Yellow" mixed with Gunze "Flat White".

I am only experimenting really... I've order my Montex Masks from A2Z Models (Alister McLean) and I am looking forward to beginning the painting of the invasion stripes and national insignia...

I find the masking process extremely tedious and sometimes frustrating.... However, the results are worth the effort!!

A few questions if I may: I was thinking of laying down a thin coat of future before I begin the masking process and I wanted to ask, is it recommended to shoot it on straight out of the bottle or do the majority of you thin it out (if so, what do you use to thin it with?).... I want to prevent finger printing and damaging the camouflage.... Is it recommended to lay down a coat of future at this point?? Opinions please!!

As well, wanted to ask what others would recommend about painting the invasion stripes? Were they in reality 13"??

Please speak up! Could use the feedback and recommendations!

Cheers and happy modelling!!

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria