VFC-12 Ambush 06 - FINISHED!

Dragon

• 1 month later...

Finally have an update for this build. I had been frustrated and discouraged after a self-inflicted screw-up. I'm not sure what happened, but I couldn't get the front portion of the top and bottom fuselages halves to close; there was an approx. 1/8" gap.  After several different unsuccessful attempts to rectify this, I lost the mojo to build. A couple of days ago, I finally ventured back into the hobby room, and I decided to pry the fuselage halves apart and start over. I was able alleviate some of the gap, but one still exists. The only thing I can figure is I did something wrong when installing the seamless intakes. As a result of the gap, there is a step at the bottom where the front and rear fuselage join. I haven't decided if I'll address it or just leave it be.    

Qqp9BHD.jpg

Hopefully, with this behind me I can gain some momentum and get this build done.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!

Well, the build is starting to look like a F/A-18. I've added LEX and a few more fuselage components.

Qhd4eFW.jpg

I've decide not to address the fuselage joint step. The centerline tank pylon and tank will hide most of it. Plus the build will go on one of the lower shelves in the display case, so the bottom half of the build won't be seen. At least that's my excuse for not wanting to deal with it.

And there is color! I wanted to get an idea of how the colors will look. I painted the horizontal stabilizers.

BfUgVVi.jpg

This one needs a little touch up.

The build is gaining momentum.

Mike 

Finally have an update for this build. I had been frustrated and discouraged after a self-inflicted screw-up. I'm not sure what happened, but I couldn't get the front portion of the top and bottom fuselages halves to close; there was an approx. 1/8" gap.  After several different unsuccessful attempts to rectify this, I lost the mojo to build. A couple of days ago, I finally ventured back into the hobby room, and I decided to pry the fuselage halves apart and start over. I was able alleviate some of the gap, but one still exists. The only thing I can figure is I did something wrong when installing the seamless intakes. As a result of the gap, there is a step at the bottom where the front and rear fuselage join. I haven't decided if I'll address it or just leave it be.    

Qqp9BHD.jpg

Hopefully, with this behind me I can gain some momentum and get this build done.

Mike

I had fit issues when I did the Academy Bug, too.There is so much going on with all the fuselage/lerx/wing parts that a small misalignment affects everything down the line. Build is looking great, looking forward to the finish.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well, progress is slow on the build, but at least it is forward progress.

The step at the bottom where the forward and rear fuselages meet impacts how the center pylon sits on the fuselage. So, I had to install a spacer to fill in the gap at the front of the pylon.  

9N6K8W5.jpg

The nose, leading edges, LEX fences, and antenna have been added. Next up will be getting the build ready to be primed. A few seams need attention, and some making needs to be done as well.

UUip8LO.jpg

I've also assembled the tails and wingtips. They have been primed, and as you can see I've painted the top of the tails. 

vmNG2eS.jpg

yRChPHK.jpg

Painting the tails and wingtips are the next task then on to priming the build.

Mike

Weekend Update.

Gaining momentum with the build. I masked the cockpit, wheel wells, and artificial exhaust sections on the build and laid down a layer of Tamiya primer from the spray can. I get a much better surface when I use the spray can on LSP builds. I haven't mastered priming LSP builds with an air gun yet.

h7Qbhb1.jpg

More blue has been added. I painted the tails and wingtips this week.

fHbcF44.jpg

I really like the looks of the white on the tails.

After reading several LSP members experience with it, I decided to give the Tamiya X-22 Clear a try. Using a 50/50 mixture of paint to thinner, it sprays nicely and provides a nice glossy finish.   

Next will be adding blue to the main body.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Maru. Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way of any bench time these past several weeks. I'm hopefully I can get this build completed by the deadline.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on my build.

This will be my first free weekend in several weeks, and I plan on making some serious headway on this build. I'll need to in order to meet the 31 May deadline. 

The painting process has begun.

P9jTaDu.jpg

The start of a lot of blue! By Sunday evening I hope to have the painting done.

We'll see if the plan survives the execution!

Mike

Well, my plan did survive its execution! I was able to get the build completely painted.

xXdsaaQ.jpg

2U5NP3G.jpg

WvSAuT3.jpg

qF0QfeA.jpg

I have to say it's an interesting scheme.....

I'll let the paint cure for a couple of days before laying down a clear coat. Next up will be the landing gear and wheel well components.

Mike

Well, I've hit a snag. I've somehow lost the placement sheet for the decals.  :BANGHEAD2:

Anyone have the Fightertown VFC-12 Ambush 32007 sheet they could make a scan of the placement sheet?

Thanks,

Mike