Trumpeter 1/200th USS Arizona - Done!

TimW

I started this back at the beginning of July, feeling I needed a bit of a break from aircraft for a bit.

And here it is for your viewing pleasure, in December 1941 colors.

Aug2011072.jpg

Aug2011055.jpg

Aug2011064-1.jpg

Aug2011063.jpg

That looks absolutely stunning! :)

Looks like 1:200 is a good scale for ships?

Been battling with my 1:350 Hood - so know much work is involved - I take my hat off to you Sir!

Iain

Thank you all for the kind words! I planned for this to be a "break" and envisaged working on other projects at the same time, but this became all-consuming and I pretty much set aside all other projects to concentrate on it. This is only the third major ship project I've ever done (the other was the CSS Alabama back in the 90s, the old Revell kit) and the HMCS Snowberry (also Revell) back during 2006-7.

Some areas went pretty fast (lower hull) and then once I had to start in with all the upper works stuff, it slowed down quite a bit.

Trumpeters lack of instructions for the railings and rigging was a big thumbs down--had I been thinking, I would have done the railings as I went and saved myself some real heartburn. I'll know better next time!

And I agree--this is an excellent scale for ships--I have a 1/350 KG V but I'd love to see it in this scale.

Thanks again!

Tim W

That is awesome. You did a good job on her.Colors and weathering are very well represented. I have a bit of a dumb ass question though. Second turret from front, what are the rocket looking things at the base?.....Harv :speak_cool:

That is awesome. You did a good job on her.Colors and weathering are very well represented. I have a bit of a dumb ass question though. Second turret from front, what are the rocket looking things at the base?.....Harv :speak_cool:

Harv--

I believe they are something to do with minesweeping and are floats of one form or another--that's an educated guess on my part and it could be wrong, though.

Tim W.

Love to see this great ship so well represented here! Great job man!

That float thing is for anti magnetic mine sweeping and was streamded along side the ship on both sides at once creating a big"V' shape when viewed from above. I think they were called "paravanes" or something like that?

J

Paravanes indeed , not for magnetic , rather they were designed to sever the cables of tethered mines, most WWI/II warships had them

As for the ship , a beautiful, beautiful job , quite brillian , I stand in Awe!

I used to be a closet ship modeller years ago, (the only best in show I ever won was for a 350th Modernised USS New Jersey) , I'd love to work on larger scale ships , 200th seems to be a decet compomise as regards detail vs size, although that dosen't stop me lusting after a 1/72nd HMS Warspite , looks like I'll have to settle for Academy's 350th scale one soon

Great work , and a worthly memorial to a fine ship

• 1 month later...