New Revell Spitfire Mk II build

ironman1945

Guest KingK_series

The nose/top of engine cowl shape doesn't worry you?

the three flats on the fuel tank armour don't worry you?

the flats under the wing root leading edge don't worry you?

the canopy srceen shape doesn't worry you?

the heavyness and section of the wing root fillet doesn't worry you?

Now on the other hand the old Hasegawa, was much better on all these basic shapes - ignore radiator ducts or rivets,....

02_zpsd153132a.jpg

08_zps8a20b398.jpg

- see nice round fuel tank armour

nicely waisted  wing fillet

much better cowl  shape over the engine rocker covers, in fact it looks like a Spitfire.......

Edited by KingK_series

Clearly these issues didn't bother the reviewer , or indeed Iron man , clearly they bother you , we apply different standards to what we find acceptable  or objectionable , 

I have , in the words of our American friends, no dog in this fight , my early Spitfire itch has been well scratched over the years , so I have no real interest in this kit as a MkII , perhaps as a basis for other marks ok , but out of the box no 

So I suppose I can see both sides of the argument .. KingK you may well be right there are issues if built OOb , and to many such as your self that's a deal breaker , but please don't assume that your reservations and issues with the kit are seen in the same light by others , 

Frankly these thats by the time I've done butchering a kit , It's a miracle it bears even a passing resemblance to the original!

Guest KingK_series

Clearly these issues didn't bother the reviewer , or indeed Iron man , clearly they bother you , we apply different standards to what we find acceptable  or objectionable , 

I have , in the words of our American friends, no dog in this fight , my early Spitfire itch has been well scratched over the years , so I have no real interest in this kit as a MkII , perhaps as a basis for other marks ok , but out of the box no 

So I suppose I can see both sides of the argument .. KingK you may well be right there are issues if built OOb , and to many such as your self that's a deal breaker , but please don't assume that your reservations and issues with the kit are seen in the same light by others , 

Frankly these thats by the time I've done butchering a kit , It's a miracle it bears even a passing resemblance to the original!

I'm sure your right about much of what you say

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-

not only but also not least because he writes

"The largest visible inaccuracy with the kit can be found under the wing, the air-cooler doesn't have the correct shape for a MK.II Spitfire. It shouldn't be circular, just half round. I guess the A.M. companies will have a replacement part for it by the time you read this, though.(we are sure one company in the US is already on to it-hint hint)"

when in fact the "round entry" oil cooler -  [in fact a twin ganged oil cooler, as opposed to the single cooler with half round entry found on most MkIs and a few early MkIIs]] was not only common on MkIIs it was also fitted to late MkIs

- would you like me to post Wartime pics of MkIs and IIs with the later cooler? I have plenty

XXXXXXXXXX "The largest visible inaccuracy" is  XXXXXXXXXXXXX incorrect -in both senses, the oil cooler IS correct for a MkII, and there are many real far worse mistakes.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by LSP_Matt

The nose/top of engine cowl shape doesn't worry you?

the three flats on the fuel tank armour don't worry you?

the flats under the wing root leading edge don't worry you?

the canopy srceen shape doesn't worry you?

the heavyness and section of the wing root fillet doesn't worry you?

Now on the other hand the old Hasegawa, was much better on all these basic shapes - ignore radiator ducts or rivets,....

- see nice round fuel tank armour

nicely waisted  wing fillet

much better cowl  shape over the engine rocker covers, in fact it looks like a Spitfire.......

Simon ...

My 2 kit's arrived today in the mail ... 

For comparison, I have the old Revell Mk.I/II kit ... which is a mix (apparently) of some Revell/Hasegawa tooling combined ...

I am told (by many on here) that it was the most accurate kit on the market from which to build an early Spitfire - which is why I bought it. Opening the box of both releases and comparing sprues, I can honestly say that I can't see all that much difference - at least nothing to panic or get worked up about ... except the new released kit has detail that seems crisper, if overly done ... yes, there are very slight differences in shape, overall ... but not so drastic as to leave me wondering what type of aircraft I am assembling when I do.

I understand you don't like the kit, you have made that abundantly clear - I don't mean that as an offence - you're just calling it as you see it! ... An opinion.

However there are those of us that have waited to make our OWN observations until kit in hand ... I have done so ... and really, to me anyway, it's not half as bad as some have made it out to be ... It COULD have been much better, yes - of course! Any kit could be improved, really ... but I don't think people should be made to feel bad/stupid/inferior about expressing a different opinion to yours ...

Kind regards ...

Rog :)

Guest KingK_series

Simon ...

My 2 kit's arrived today in the mail ... 

For comparison, I have the old Revell Mk.I/II kit ... which is a mix (apparently) of some Revell/Hasegawa tooling combined ...

I am told (by many on here) that it was the most accurate kit on the market from which to build an early Spitfire - which is why I bought it. Opening the box of both releases and comparing sprues, I can honestly say that I can't see all that much difference - at least nothing to panic or get worked up about ... except the new released kit has detail that seems crisper, if overly done ... yes, there are very slight differences in shape, overall ... but not so drastic as to leave me wondering what type of aircraft I am assembling when I do.

I understand you don't like the kit, you have made that abundantly clear - I don't mean that as an offence - you're just calling it as you see it! ... An opinion.

However there are those of us that have waited to make our OWN observations until kit in hand ... I have done so ... and really, to me anyway, it's not half as bad as some have made it out to be ... It COULD have been much better, yes - of course! Any kit could be improved, really ... but I don't think people should be made to feel bad/stupid/inferior about expressing a different opinion to yours ...

Kind regards ...

Cut it off the sprue, tape it together and look hard at the shapes of the engine cowl over the rocker, the fuel tank shape, the leading edge wing shape, and the wing fillet shape, better still do that in front of a genuine unmolested Spitfire.

If you can do that and still be happy, then I wish you the very best of luck with it...

Kind regards ...

I think that sums it up!

:thumbsup:

Rog, just pop outside for a minute, find a nice brick wall and gently bang your head against it!

:rofl:

Cut it off the sprue, tape it together and look hard at the shapes of the engine cowl over the rocker, the fuel tank shape, the leading edge wing shape, and the wing fillet shape, better still do that in front of a genuine unmolested Spitfire.

If you can do that and still be happy, then I wish you the very best of luck with it...

Done (with the exception of the "genuine unmolested Spitfire" ... kind of scarce in Perth, Western Australia!!) ... 

My comments remain as before ... 

My opinion ... I am not incorrect for having it ... neither is anyone else!

thank you for the kind wishes :D

I think that sums it up!

:thumbsup:

Rog, just pop outside for a minute, find a nice brick wall and gently bang your head against it!

:rofl:

Awww Phil!! ... now you're just taking the P*** ;) ;)

Guest Dekenba

Florey Models reviewed the kit - he said that, although not perfect, for £20 it's a bargain.

I feel that is pretty much how most people feel, outside of the hard-core Spitfire enthusiasts.

The

...doesn't worry you?

...worry you?

...worry you?

...worry you?

Nope, not at all. Not worried one bit.

But if you're saying my two and only ever Spitfires should be built from a Tamiya or Hasegawa instead, I'll consider whether my desire for subject merits up to 6 X fold expenditure.

Hmmm. Considered. No. Revell will do nicely.

However, I *do* expect to spend 6 X the Revell when buying a DeHavilland Mosquito from HKM or Tamiya (or both, most likely). Sorry Revell, but a 1970 vintage model can't compete with the latest.

Tony

when in fact the "round entry" oil cooler -  [in fact a twin ganged oil cooler, as opposed to the single cooler with half round entry found on most MkIs and a few early MkIIs]] was not only common on MkIIs it was also fitted to late MkIs

Provision for the fitting the "Mk.III oil cooler" was not made, on the Mk.II, until August 1941, and the Mk.I was never included. Supermarine did not start to fit the cooler on the Mk.II (only) until September 1941, at the same time issuing leaflets to repair depots on how to carry out the work.

By the end of April 1941 there were, according to Air Ministry figures, "60-odd" V airframes fitted with the old-style cooler (which seems strange if the new one was so plentiful.) New cooler matrices were not readily available from Serck until May, 1942, in fact, in April, Serck could produce only 9 complete sets per day, of which three were for production, and the remainder for repair depots (and all earmarked for the Mk.V.)

Once the V was in full production, Mk.I & II airframes requiring repair were fitted with a "Mk.V" wing with the new cooler; when it was stationed here, AR213 was so fitted with one original Mk.I wing and a Mk.V wing with attendant oil cooler.

the guy obviously is not familiar with his subject..

It would appear he's not alone.........