Gee Bee R Racer | Williams Bros. 1:32

Kendzior

Thanks, Mates :)

So, that's how it is going to look like, busy enough, I think.

Of course, some more detail still to be added, as well as the pilot's seat and its back plate.

fBEStL.jpg

bKF8fR.jpg

YkaX83.jpg

And... two more racers are on their way to my workshop:  Lindberg's Laird Turner Meteor and WB's Hall's Bulldog Racer (what a beauty!). 

Stay tuned, best regards

Hubert

Is anyone aware of AM decals for the wing and fuselage scallops?

Don't think there are any.

I'm going to use masks prepared on the basis of a paper model in 1:33 and probably self made decal for the black outline.

Thanks for watching and comments :)

Best regards

Hubert 

Thanks for comments, Mates :)

Slowly going forward with the Gee Bee. 

Filled  the "trenches" which were supposed to be panel lines according to WB's idea. Well, just could not accept, that these panel lines could look like they were 3 cm wide. Therefore, new panel lines will be scribed, as well as the rivets added, where appropriate.

To fill these lines stretched sprue from the Lindberg's Laird Turner Meteor has been used - the kit arrived :) It's white, so hope to be able to retain the shape of panels, which should make the scribing new lines a lot easier.

M05xLW.jpg

Best regards

Hubert

Hubert,

You should look for Marcin's WIP on the Laird Turner. The kit is not 1/32, but rather 1/26 or 1/28 depending on where you look at... A lot of work is required to make it a 1/32 kit.

Keep the good.work coming on the Gee Bee :popcorn:

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hubert,

You should look for Marcin's WIP on the Laird Turner. The kit is not 1/32, but rather 1/26 or 1/28 depending on where you look at... A lot of work is required to make it a 1/32 kit.

Keep the good.work coming on the Gee Bee :popcorn:

Hubert

Sure I have seen it, Hubert - marvelous job. Definitely will be using it as a reference, as the first cuts have already been made.

This Lindberg's kit is a dog indeed. 1/26, 1/28... well, who cares ;), it'is still LSP compatible :D

Great job Hubert. I have not been able to finish this model yet, but looking at your great work I get the wish to act.

Regards Marcin

Marcin, 

This is my second ever approach to more serious scratchbuilding, so it's far far away from what I'd like to get, especially compared to your works. 

Would be really great to see your Gee Bee.

Thanks for watching and for comments, Mates :)

Best regards

Hubert

• 5 weeks later...

OK, it's been a busy month, but Gee Bee didn't get as much attention, as I wanted. 

First of all, I have made a bad mistake with regard to the work planning. The internal ribbing was made of wood and not painted (except the clear cote), but the fuselage walls from the inside were painted white ... really should have done all the paint works first, before gluing the ribs to the fuselage. Now, trying to paint all these ribs a wood-like color in a convincing way turned out to be beyond my skills and patience.

Therefore I took an easy way, by spraying the interior red-brown, then white, and then I sanded the frames with sandpaper, revealing the brown color. How does it look like? Please don't ask, decided not to take any interior photos... 

Secondly, the pilot's seat. Well, purchased the set of walk-around photos of the R2 replica and decided to install some similar seat (hope Granville brothers forgive me this).

So, that's my Gee Bee with the fuselage closed and the wings installed. All the joints filled with CA, Gunze's dissolved putty and strips of stretched sprue and sanded almost smooth.

aZmmoD.jpg

vXAVdN.jpg

And the engine under way:

24AMdX.jpg

fYgCQq.jpg

xGTcaR.jpg

Undercarriage before sanding and the propeller after some corrections.

RAxFgr.jpg

DcG3WC.jpg

Anyway, she starts to look as a plane.

Still a lot of sanding ahead, as well as rescribing the panel lines and riveting. The dashboard will be made using the Airscale decals and photo etched bezels. 
Hope you like it, stay tuned :)

Best regards
Hubert