Thank you, Max. Glad there are some ideas you can put to use.
A very "exciting" week, fighting these pesky hairline cracks at the fuselage halves junctions ahead of the fin and ventral strake. I have lost the count of how many times I filled them, sanded them, painted the area ... to find the crack was still visible. I widened the crack with a micro-chisel, filled it with micro balloons and CA, and even then it took a few trials to get it right. I am happy to report that, as of this afternoon, I have finally prevailed ...
I mentioned the Villesauvage field ( now Etampes) where the 1921 record flight and Coupe Deutsch race took place. It was apparently not too smooth. At least it is reported that this was the reason (ceratinly not the only one) for the demise of the "Texas Wildcat" in the 1921 Coupe Deutsch, as it had been built without any kind of schock-absorber landing gear, in the belief that French "aerodromes" were smooth like a golf course ...
I have tried to replicate a not-too-smooth grass-field base on which to pose the Sesquiplan and Sadi. I am afraid there are no in-progress pics for this experiment. I was too busy trying to make it work.
So here is how I did it , using a cheap A4 photo frame I bought in a thrift-shop as a basis.
- The photoframe's glass was replaced with "Kadapak" (foamed carboard)
- I did a soil base by mixing gap-filling plaster and wood (PVA) glue, the idea being that the glue would help the plaster stick to the smooth cardboard, and the « soil »
- When still wet, I used a kitchen simmer to spread some earth from my garden on the base.
- I also made some wheel imprints in the still wet base, to show the passage of aearoplanes, including the Sesquiplane.
- When this was dry came the experiment of laying some grass.
I have bought from WW Scenics ( http://www.war-world.co.uk ) some 2 mm and 6 mm electrostatic grass. They do it in various tones (spring, summer autumn, winter, dried, etc...). As the flight took place end of september, I mixed some "summer" and some "autumn" grass in 2 and 6 mm heights.
The earth base then was pasted with a tinted (using sienna tint for house paints) diluted (with water) PVA glue. Using the "Pro Grass Micro Applicator", I then sprinkled the grass on the glue.
WW Scenics recommend to stick a nail in the middle of the conductive glue and clip the alligator clip to it, before swtiching on the Applicator. The electrostatic effect is supposed to make the grass stand upright. My first result was not too convincing, but the base still looked like a grass field. I have found the nail-and-alligator-clip to be a bit awkward, especially as the cable is fairly rigid.
You can also notice the "plate" I have glued in one corner of the base. It's a simple 0.2 mm thick brass plate, on which I applied a clear decal on which I had printed the text. Using Micro Sol and Micro set, it went down smoothly. without any noticeable carrier film.
When this was dry, I had a second go at it, trying to replicate some taller grass tufts, and to see whether the Applicator could be more efficient than my first trial let me suppose. This time, I applied the diluted glue in small patches. Holding the applicator in one hand, and the end of the alligator clip in the other hand, in direct contact with the wet glue puddle, and holding the applicator a lot closer to to the "ground", without shaking it like a salt dispenser this time, I got some much more convincing results. The « grass » is really standing up. See for yourself :
This one is getting nearer to completion. I am already thinking of a new entry, recycling my entry in the Biplanes GB, which did not go very far : the venerable Monogram Grumman G-22 Gulfhawk.
A quick pic with the Sesquiplan landed at Villesauvage to conclude...
PS: sorry for the wrong orientation of one pic. It is looking OK in PB
Edited by MostlyRacers, 30 September 2016 - 04:48 PM.