AIMS Ju388 L1 conversion - Finished!

Wouter

Thanks gents! Indeed a big undertaking, but it is such a cool looking ac. It must have been a bit futuristic in its time.

A fellow 388'er!  Wonderful work so far, Wouter- if you're like me you'll have that book memorized in due time.  Cheers!

chuk

I hear you, that book is a little goldmine though I had hope for some more external (colour) pictures of the surviving example.

Big undertaking!  Good luck!

(But how do you ever get anything done on such a neat, clean workbench?) :rolleyes:

Careful photography does wonders, but besides that my desk is more often littered with tools, dust, paint and what else then looking clean :innocent:

Evening all. With the left wing almost finished I'm now working on the right wing. Things do go a litle faster now I know what to do. I thought I give you guys a little picture update of the enhancements I made on the power egg. So here it goes:

This part needs a steeper curve

LzFzk5B.jpg?1

So let's cut the part off

5aMm4iK.jpg

Then cut off another 4.5 mm from that

A7zcXLG.jpg

like this

jcRhYxe.jpg

Then take a coarse file and start to file in the direction of the arrows. The center part needs to be thinned with about 1 mm.

YgabOjr.jpg

And after cleaning things up you should end up with something like this

rlnMvvP.jpg

and glue the altered part back on

nwPwkb8.jpg

Then the top part. Again look how thick the casting is. That's no good scale wise.

rLd7qWP.jpg

here I marked which part to thin

e9M85qN.jpg

this does the trick

JWJxcWD.jpg

Right, class dismissed :P

Wouter, very nice work, finally found your thread (with your help), not being a Luftwaffe affectionado but this is coming along very nicely, have fun!

Jack.

Edited by Jack

Thanks guys!

Soldering on with this beast. Got the basic work on the wings completed.

lPOeTpG.jpg

and the wingtips. These went on pretty straightforward. Just a bit to thick in comparison to the Revell wings. After sanding and some putty all was well. Just need to rescribe panel lines.

Oeqws9I.jpg

I then started constructing the fuselage. Just build as Revell intended and cut off at the given points. Take note that the top closing panel needs some blending in around the panel lines, more then I expected. The Ju388 tailpiece is a drop in replacement. I made a little error on the fuselage cut, so I needed to revert to using a shim and some putty. Sadly the panel lines are pretty week and feature a inconsistent depth. Besides that they didn't form a continuous line with the original Revell fuselage. Fill and rescribe. Sadly the resin is a bit brittle and this makes it very hard to get an even panel line. I tried my best but as you can see in the pictures I still have some cleaning up to do.

072BiVe.jpg

9LxAa0v.jpg

SjCNcNZ.jpg

I also tacked the 'bodenwanne' in place. Again the panel lines are not very nice/straight/even depth. Besides that you have to scribe the camera panels yourself (I marked the positions). I guess Pastor did this so you can choose to build the bomber version or the recce, but since I hate scribing.... Anyway, the bodenwanne does fit pretty good if you clean up the inside as per instructions. After glueing some blending with putty will do the job. And it gives your model a hefty weight which feels rather nice holding it in your hand.

c05CHZr.jpg

Last but not least I made an early mock up with one of the propellers. Guess that will turn out OK with some more work.

hiEpwAt.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics. I just had my phone at hand.

Cheers, Wouter

The tail and camera pod are coming along nicely. I found the same as you when I did my AIMS 88G-6 conversion. The resin was brittle yet hard as nails but seemed to shape well when a dremel tool and "much more coarse than I expected" sandpaper was required to reshape the nose wings and tail to match the Revell parts. From what you're showing us now though, nobody but you and us watching will ever know you did a thing, and this will be a spectacular kit. :)  Keep up the great work!

Paul