Kawasaki Ki61-I Hein. (To be completed)

mpk

Hi guys.

You may have read I have begun a Tony with the express purpose of completing it. I have given myself an approximate month while working on nothing else. Just this kit, start to finish.

Being that completion is the kits only purpose, I've not concerned myself with things like sink marks in the undercarriage doors. I don't think they will be noticeable anyway. I will correct this on my next Tony.

I also used Tamiya Nato green in the pit. Not exact. I decided not to care if it was not the olive like green on the original. I later gave the rear bulkhead and edges of the pit a dry brush of light olive oil paint. This dry brushing of olive tricks my eye into seeing the Nato green as having an olive tinge. Interesting.  :hmmm:

I decided to dispense with AM such as individual instrument decals. This is anathema to me, but because I simply want it built, I used the kit cockpit decals. All of which worked fine. Although the IP looks a little cartoonish. I'm closing the canopy anyway.

I have limited the AM to decals, Eduard harness, Mastercasters resin wheels and Quickboost cowl mounted MG's. 

The Mastercasters set was interesting. The wheels are okay and the set contains exhausts and linkages. The exhausts are way undersize and I am just using the kit links. The wheels are not Eduard standard but look fine. I plan to build and paint the kit wheels so as to compare them.

To be honest, the only AM this kit really needs is a harness and perhaps a set of decals. This Hasegawa Tony is a wonderful kit. I'm going to build another.

This should be done within a couple of weeks. (I suddenly have 2 whole free days ahead of me)

Here's a few shots.

The A/C I plan is at top right. The aeroplane without the red tail. The reason, it's easier. :)

20170515_095552_zpszj9k6zsp.jpg

20170515_085918_zpsjrnvwikk.jpg

In this shot one can see the QB machine guns.

20170515_085958_zpsbhlkw7sa.jpg

20170515_090207_zpsxdzwl5qh.jpg

One can see the cartoonish, yet workable kit IP decal. I used the 3 kit decals for the cockpit. I used Mark Softer on Gunze paints and they settled without an issue. The kit decals are all dimensionally correct with their parts.

20170515_085841_zps7xkte59x.jpg

20170515_090125_zpsctag5whm.jpg

20170515_090044_zps77dzx0ki.jpg

Edited by mpk

Hi guys.

You may have read I have begun a Tony with the express purpose of completing it. I have given myself an approximate month while working on nothing else. Just this kit, start to finish.

Being that completion is the kits only purpose, I've not concerned myself with things like sink marks in the undercarriage doors. I don't think they will be noticeable anyway. I will correct this on my next Tony.

I also used Tamiya Nato green in the pit. Not exact. I decided not to care if it was not the olive like green on the original. I later gave the rear bulkhead and edges of the pit a dry brush of light olive oil paint. This dry brushing of olive tricks my eye into seeing the Nato green as having an olive tinge. Interesting.  :hmmm:

I decided to dispense with AM such as individual instrument decals. This is anathema to me, but because I simply want it built, I used the kit cockpit decals. All of which worked fine. Although the IP looks a little cartoonish. I'm closing the canopy anyway.

I have limited the AM to decals, Eduard harness, Mastercasters resin wheels and Quickboost cowl mounted MG's. 

The Mastercasters set was interesting. The wheels are okay and the set contains exhausts and linkages. The exhausts are way undersize and I am just using the kit links. The wheels are not Eduard standard but look fine. I plan to build and paint the kit wheels so as to compare them.

To be honest, the only AM this kit really needs is a harness and perhaps a set of decals. This Hasegawa Tony is a wonderful kit. I'm going to build another.

This should be done within a couple of weeks. (I suddenly have 2 whole free days ahead of me)

Here's a few shots.

The A/C I plan is at top right. The aeroplane without the red tail. The reason, it's easier. :)

20170515_095552_zpszj9k6zsp.jpg

20170515_085918_zpsjrnvwikk.jpg

In this shot one can see the QB machine guns.

20170515_085958_zpsbhlkw7sa.jpg

20170515_090207_zpsxdzwl5qh.jpg

One can see the cartoonish, yet workable kit IP decal. I used the 3 kit decals for the cockpit. I used Mark Softer on Gunze paints and they settled without an issue. The kit decals are all dimensionally correct with their parts.

20170515_085841_zps7xkte59x.jpg

20170515_090125_zpsctag5whm.jpg

20170515_090044_zps77dzx0ki.jpg

Good luck with this, and remember to check wing/root fit, as mine gave me fits. Probably something I goofed myself, but nonetheless,...

Thanks fellas. The wings are on. The canopy masked etc.

Here's a couple of shots. The wings have been on for a week or so while I've been working on sub assemblies. I'm using the kit exhausts. I had to sand them down to removes ejector marks and applied Mr Surfacer 500 as weld seams. 

Tomorrow I'll spray an Alclad undercoat of black. Complete painting the prop and undercarriage if I can fit it in. I hope to be done soon because I am looking forward to the next project. The Tony is my dress rehearsal.

20170515_145958_zpsod5dumnd.jpg

20170515_150038_zps4d7xzhx9.jpg

20170515_150114_zpskraggubx.jpg

20170515_150200_zpsapkl0drj.jpg

Thanks guys.

Today was spent really preparing the airframe for some paint.

Some smaller work included this lot.

20170515_223108_zps6jldatrm.jpg

20170515_223230_zpsnun6rdtb.jpg

20170515_223152_zpshpuve8sb.jpg

Tomorrow should be fun. :D

I also bought some acrylic shelving. So I am fully prepared for completed kits. I've been told to rest for the next 12 months. So that's what I'll do. I'll rest and build models. I should be halfway decent after a year of it.