1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

Really, really lovely progress Joel!

I am totally loving all you are going with this kit, I especially love the scratched Radar Altimeter under the wing...nice! Glad you are going with the black basing. Cameron and I used it on the Spitfire and the effect is very subtle and convincing.

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony,

Your comments are much appreciated. The Scratched Radar Altimeter is better then the Trumpeter's effort, but I think I missed the mark on it's overall thickness some what.  The Black Basing should produce the color modulation I'm looking for without any real post shading. My only concern was just how it would effect the white underside. I've already applied the White, and it looks perfect in real life. I'm curious to see how it looks online. 

Joel

My kind of preshading. Sweet

Oliver,

Thanks for stopping by and having a look. Glad that you like how the Black Basing looks at this stage. 

Pete has turned me on to  your Helicopter builds, and I'm just starting to read through them. Your work without doubt is certainly IPMS National quality.

Joel

Looking great. I use a box to hold my projects, too. 

Jim,

Thanks for stopping by and checking out the Scooter build. As I've said, all the credit for the shoe box and rigid foam insulation goes to Chuck540z3. It's a fantastic idea that works perfectly. 

Joel

Joel my friend, your absolutely knocking this one out if the park. Very inspiring scratch building along with great paint work. Keep it up buddy!

Tony,

Thanks for checking out the Scooter to date, it's always much appreciated. Don't know that I'd call it out of the park, but I'm once again pushing my efforts just past my comfort zone. 

Joel

Joel, that's some great progress that you're making.

I have a couple of the work stands but I don't think I've actually used them while painting. The box looks to be a great idea.

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my progress to date.

This being only my 3rd 1/32 scale build, and just 2nd one here on LSP, I'm use to a faster pace and build time when working in 1/48th scale. So to me it does feel like I'm moving at a snail's pace, but I'm making steady progress, and that's the  main thing.  Honestly, I should have made the move years ago when it comes to WW11 fighter aircraft and small jets, as there is just so much more detail, and opportunities to further detail and enhance my builds. 

Of course one of the main reasons for the switch was to be able to join LSP and become an active member. Since coming back to the hobby more then 8 years ago, I've been a member of multiple modeling sites, and none come close to what LSP has to offer both in content, and community.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Nice Joel...now that's a twist to black-basing -- I'm eager to see the results!

Shaka Hi,

Always great to have you check in on my work to date. 

You've got me a little confused as to what you mean by a new twist. Black basing is simply a black or dark colored base with lighter colored squiggles. It's a direct descendant from priming with black or a dark color.  The main advantage to this latest step is that you create instant color modulation in random patterns as well as planned areas if you want to further control it without the need of pre or post shading.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Great work on the Black biasing technique - you're finally there and the effect will be so much more even and consistent now. Can wait to see the first coats of paint on the Scooter,

Keep 'em coming

Bro

JA

Great work on the Black biasing technique - you're finally there and the effect will be so much more even and consistent now. Can wait to see the first coats of paint on the Scooter,

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Bro,

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my Scooter. Sure hope that our premise of what Black Basing can achieve, will actually achieve those goals. We'll know in a few days for sure one way or the other.

Joel

Joel, looks super under the black basing and interested to see the colour go on.

Regards. Andy

Andy,

Thanks my friend for stopping by. I've got the bottom flat white on, and it looks real good. but it's always the top color coats that count, and Pete says that I'm a pro at screwing when I least expect a screw up.  :oops:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W