Tamiya DH Mosquito FB VI- Stickers! Err, decals.

BloorwestSiR

All in all, those tires look like an excellent bit of engineering.

K2, I finished the second one and the fit was much better after I gave the nubs a quick shave as I previously mentioned. I think with a coat of paint the small gaps will be hard to see.

Since I'm not really building in order (as long as it all fits together in the end  :please: ), I started on the engines.

The main block and cylinder heads are from the Spitfire kit but there are changes throughout so I had to make sure I was using the right part. The original engine sprue:

IMG_20150630_011751.jpg

One change is the inclusion of magnets into the cylinder head covers. These look like they're used to hold the exhaust covers in place.

IMG_20150630_012819_1.jpg

Not a great pic, but the part in the upper left corner P1 is from the new sprue and you can see the slight differences in it compared to the original Spitfire one.

IMG_20150630_013130_1.jpg

Here's the engine block, cylinder heads and supercharger assembled (x2) and ready for a coat of paint. The two bits in the upper right are a pair of jigs for attaching the cylinder heads at the right angle. This is something new that wasn't in any of the Spitfire kits or the Mustangs.

IMG_20150630_232201.jpg

The jigs just slide onto either end of the block...

IMG_20150630_224737.jpg

...then you attach the cylinder heads and they're at the correct angle.

IMG_20150630_224809.jpg

I've left the left cylinder bank off to make it easier for painting. Once I have paint on, I'll re-use the jig and attach them.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Awesome start and the Mossie and the up close and personal photos are perfect.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

You either have really small thumbs or those tires are huge! :)

Looks good.

Ryan

LOL, my thumbs aren't that small. Here's a size comparo next to a Tamiya Spitfire tire:

IMG_20150701_140821.jpg

Carl

Awesome start and the Mossie and the up close and personal photos are perfect.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. Your F-16 looks great as well. I have a couple in the stash that I'll get to one day.

Carl

Happy belated Canada Day! We had family over and it was the first time we had all the grandchildren from both sides of my family in one place so that made it extra special. The hot dogs and ice cream everywhere after, not so much. Thankfully my dog made a valiant effort to help clean up.

Back to the build, I added the PE bits to the centre section (not sure what it is but think it has something to do with the fuel system). I then attached all the engine parts to paint clips and sprayed them X-18 semi-gloss black.

IMG_20150701_233640.jpg

IMG_20150701_233851.jpg

IMG_20150702_001734.jpg

Since I had more paint left in the airbrush, I painted some other bits still on their sprues.

IMG_20150702_002118.jpg

I do remember being quite astounded at the size ofthe Paragon Mossie wheels when I pulled them out of the packaging.     That size comparison is indeed an eye opener!

It really is. I hadn't thought much of it until I put them side by side. It'll be interesting to see the same thing when the Lancaster comes out.

Here are the jigs in place on the engine:

IMG_20150702_004635.jpg

They certainly work well enough but I think thy're redundant with the way the cylinder heads are moulded and then attached to the block.

IMG_20150702_004711.jpg

The completed supercharger assemblies:

IMG_20150702_005416.jpg

And with the main components assembled:

IMG_20150702_005550.jpg

Hi Carl,

I've just found this thread and like what you've accomplished so far. Good stuff.

I shall try to follow this as often as possible to see how this uber kit builds up.

So far, things are extremely encouraging.

Cheers.