Rare footage of the Red Baron has come to light

TonyT

Incredible that they could even fly bundled up the way they were. Did anyone notice the chin strap on his officers cap? First time I've ever seen that with a German uniform.

That is not a chin strap for the cap but for a bandage for a head wound he received on July 16, 1917.  The bandage can been seen covering the top of the head when Richthofen removes his cap...

40915379472_809da0f29b_o.jpg

Edited by RBrown

I was struck by how much the laughing young German pilots looked like any group of laughing young pilots of any country. Aside from the uniforms and markings on the aircraft you couldn't tell one from another                                                              .

It is such a shame that we humans have this need to fight one another. 

I really do not feel sad when I  hear of an older person kicking the bucket. We have lived out lives and now after a suitable number of years we die. It is natural. Such is our existence on this planet.

But to see young people die, that hurts. 

Do you think maybe that is the reason aliens circling our planet do not try to make direct contact with such a violent race of creatures such as us humans?      

Stephen

I was looking through a book on the ostfront and came across a color picture of Wehrmacht artillerymen in southern Ukraine during the summer.  Tanned, shirts off, smoking cigarettes, loading up their guns, they looked to me like nothing so much as the similar pictures I'd seen of American gunners during Vietnam.  It really is interesting how, when you take away the uniforms, the pictures are hard to distinguish.  They're just 20 year old kids dying for their country, whichever country that is.  War is awful.  

Maybe someone on this forum (wink wink), can use a few frames from that footage an make a Resin figurine of the Baron? Cough  cough....

There are already some very nice figures of MVR.

Incredible that they could even fly bundled up the way they were. Did anyone notice the chin strap on his officers cap? First time I've ever seen that with a German uniform. Looking at the ground crew working the engine, is that oil they are using to lubricate the push rods? I imagine the lower cylinders on a stationary engine would dry out from drippage with no oil being sprayed around as the engine ran.

FYI, the fuel, (benzine) was mixed with castor oil, much like modern R/C fuels. The fuel/oil mix was drawn into the engine, the benzine burned and the oil just flowed out the exhaust valve.. a total loss system....which is why the aircraft were often shiny and well preserved, coated in dried castor oil. One of the reasons a lot of the pilots suffered weight loss was getting the runs from breathing in the vaporized castor oil.