1/48 Supermarine Type 224

Derek B

Hi Guys,

Just a bit of advanced info' for you. below are some photographs of what has been taking up too much of my time and effort for far too long - the newly completed master patterns for the forthcoming Heritage Aviation Models 1/48 Supermarine Type 224. This will be a full resin kit and shall be available later this year.

Type224Pattern015.jpg

Type224Pattern018.jpg

Type224Pattern028.jpg

Type224Pattern029.jpg

Type224Pattern038.jpg

Type224Pattern039.jpg

Type224Pattern044.jpg

Type224Pattern051.jpg

Type224Pattern058.jpg

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Derek,

Though I know nothing about this aircraft; it's more work from one of the masters! :speak_cool:

Barry

Edited by Barry

Derek,

Though I know nothing about this aircraft; it's more work from one of the masters! :speak_cool:

Barry

Thanks Barry :blush:

It was pretty much the forerunner of the Spitfire, which flew a few years before the prototype Supermarine Type 300 Spitfire. It was built in response to an Air Ministry requirement to build a fighter to F7/30 specification, but fell short of the required peformance criteria. This was not really helped a great deal by having to use an underpowered steam (evapourative) cooled RR Goshawk engine either (the RR Kestral would have probably worked better, and had the RR PV 12 (Merlin) or Griffon had been available then (as opposed to the RR Type 'R' engine), who knows, it could have been a totally different story!

Regards

Derek

Definately the wrong scale :lol:

May I suggest you remove what I've shown circled in red and make this a separate part? a person cannot flat sand the fuse halves for a good fit with that projecting. A separate part would make assembly much, much easier.

Ron

Type224Pattern028.jpg

Definately the wrong scale :lol:

May I suggest you remove what I've shown circled in red and make this a separate part? a person cannot flat sand the fuse halves for a good fit with that projecting. A separate part would make assembly much, much easier.

Ron

Fair point Ron, however, I no longer have the patterns! Hopefully - unless the resin halves are warped in some way, little or no sanding should be required. Even so, it would be possible to sand the majority of the fuselage half whilst avoiding the in-situ exhaust and rudder pedal mount - these areas can still be carefully scraped away with a knife if any material reduction is still deemed necessary. In any case, thank you for pointing this out.

Regards

Derek