IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 1/27/14; INTAKE DUCT WORK

With Duchess Arlene drying as like like to always wait a minimum of 5 days for the Gloss Black Base just to be sure, it was time to pick up production again on my Sufa,Yup, talk about boring and dull, slow and uneventful but very necessary on the Sufa. The gear and tires have been beefed up for the extra gross weight, so room was needed for the larger nose wheel. A bulge was formed in the intake to accommodate the larger nose wheel, which Academy completely missed. To create the intake bulge, I first cut off a piece of a spare tire and glued it into place. The basic form was then shaped from Fine White Milliput – no idea why haven't I been using Milliput before – absolutely a fantastic product. After shaping and some sanding, the bulge was smoothed over with Bondo and then finished off with Mr Surfacer 500. A few hours of work but a nice detail added that is readily seen, since everyone likes to peek inside the intake.

The biggest headache would be all the filling and sanding needed to create a seamless intake. Actually it wasn't bad at all and after letting the Bondo dry over night, I wet sanded through all the sanding grades and things looked pretty good. Happy with the seams, I primed and painted the intakes gloss white and the intakes were now seamless!

The P&W intake fan was painted with Alcads but once the intake assembly is glued into position above the main gear bay, I doubt if much of it will ever be seen.

From here, the intake assembly needs to be built and glued onto the lower fuselage and from what I've read, there are a few fit issues. Sure just looks like another fun day at he ranch.

I have already almost learned the hard way , make sure you hsave the right part, as there are loads of what seems to be the same part but their not. Academy just has a few variants of thre F-16 and each kit used different parts from the sprue trees.

Thanks for checking in

Peter.

The nose wheel tire bulge finished, as well as taking care of quite a few sink marks and depressions.

PCW_4567_zps6864258e.jpg

The front and rear intake ducting assemblies finished and ready for painting. The bulge is much further back then it appears in the photo, as it was taken with a Nikon F2.8 105MM macro lens and some compression resulted in the wheel bulge looking too far forward.

PCW_4571_zpsfa346459.jpg

Neat, clean, seamless and glossy white

PCW_4572_zps5a0fab6c.jpg

The big P&W nestled in and looking good.

PCW_4573_zpsee72ccca.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Brian - much appreciated.

Can't wait for you to dig into a flame thrower myself, as it's been a long time your since SU-30 Flanker.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Sunuhe

Much appreciated. I was thinking of doing the same but thought I would give the seamless intake a shot. Worked out pretty well and afterall, I got to add the bulge for the nose wheel - made my day!

Peter

Peter,   Great work, But I am going to throw a little cold water on here that is Academy's fault.  You have installed a GE fan on a block 52 jet!!!  How could you ?????  LOL :oops:   On page 4, step 8, they call for the fan part as H1, which you did and it is the GE fan.  The PW fan is part C 65 which is included in the kit, but not called out for installation.  It has the correct long pointed engine shaft nose cone of the PW 229 engine.  If you  have the older F-16CG/CJ kit,  the instructions call this out correctly.   I just thought I would mention it to you as it is easy to change now.  If this is my detail freakiness going overboard, then just tell me to behave! LOL

Anyhow, looking forward to watching this take shape.

Gary

Edited by ghatherly

Guest Peterpools

Gary

Holy Smokes. How could Academy do this to me? Last time I add anything to the kit without double checking. Thanks for pointing out the error and I'll be visiting the "fans" tonight with an X-acto saw and exchanging the fans.

Thanks for pointing out the error.

Peter