ZM Heinkel He 219 Uhu:5/26/17: BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Guest Peterpools

Peter, been travelling, kept seeing the Uhu at the base of your post, I'm thinking strange........

Now it's all perfectly clear, wow and wow.........I was on ZM stand at Telford last November and was really really tempted by the 219, they had one of the guys on the stand building it to....I know you, you are going to make me regret not getting one, but seriously I'm hitting the follow button and settling back for the ride, hope you don't mind and save all of your WIP.....

Guest Peterpools

Hi Phil

wish I was there with you to watch him build the kit and ask questions. I thought the Mossie was big and complicated but the Owl is bigger and just a complicated. Oh what fun. I'm hoping along the journey, you will buy the Owl and join in

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Ready to finally post the first set of build photos .. the fuel cells. I need to do a few of the easier assemblies to get use to ZM kits: the feel, parts and instructions but I'm underway.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 2/20/17: FINALLY UNDERWAY: THE FUEL CELLS

I'm finally underway and decided to test the ZM waters with one of the easier assemblies, getting the feel for the kit's molding, details and the instructions. I'm using Daniel Zamarbide's: Building the Heinkel He 219 book as a guide into my first foray of WWII Luftwaffe aircraft and even getting use to the RLM colors is going to take a while ... lots of RLM colors and numbers to solve.

The three fuselage fuel cells are only made up of six parts plus the GIANT cast weight to keep the Owl on her legs and not be a tail sitter – nice touch ZM.

Other then the fuel cell tops, the actual fuel tanks most likely won't be seen but just in case, I decided to clean everything up and go the full distance. NASTY molding lines surrounded each fuel cell and knowing if I didn't remove them, it would annoy me forever. Loads of sanding and polishing and they were toast, ready for their finish:

Tamiya Gloss Black Base

Alclad Aluminum – the finish.

I wasn't looking for any type of metallic brilliance, just a nice convincing aluminum tank.

The tops were cleaned up by removing the sprue runners and with 100% of the details being molded on, it was going to be strictly a painting exercise. Breaking with my past tradition, I decided to weather them up a bit using Daniel's RLM 02 Tamiya mix for the base color, blending in the top with a bit more white added and then outlining the works with Model Air RLM 02. After hand painting the details , the tops were treated to a nice coating of Testor's Glosscote and then the details were picked out with Tamiya Black Fine Line Wash. Testor's Dullcote was next and I finished up with a light dry brushing for a bit more contrast.

The details were a bit on the soft side and the black panel line wash aded just the right amount of extra relief to make everything pop. My goal is to go for the overall effect, which for me is the sum of all the parts and sub assemblies. I'm still out to lunch on the few fuselage formers but I'll see what needs to be changed or adjusted a bit down the road. One comparison between the Mossie and the Owl, Tamiya sprue runners attached mostly under the larger parts while ZM runners attach to the sides. Not much to worry about but I can't help making comparisons along the journey.

With a bit more confidence, I'm ready to go to work on the DB603 inverted V-12's. I still have questions on the accuracy of the DB603 block colors and I have been discussing it with both Justin (his Owl build is incredible and knows his stuff) and Rick K who is right on top of the situation. Carl has also been right there with me and has a boatload of reference material on their way. Nothing like a Team Build.

Up next: the DB603 Inverted V-12's.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

The Three Fuel Cells with Alclad Aluminum construction

_PCW3717_zps76m63ckd.jpg

_PCW3719_zpsbrzemqpn.jpg

_PCW3718_zps9cpyhewb.jpg

The forward Fuel cell and One Chunk of Heavy Metal - nope, I'm  simply Old Time Rock and Roll

_PCW3720_zpsf92kzdas.jpg

The Weight in it's hiding place - and very much appreciated. Much Appreciated ZM

_PCW3721_zps62ggkmc3.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Carl

Much appreciated and I would have to agree that the details are soft as compared to Tamiya or Hasagawa. It seems to be the way the components are molded with the side relief on some of the piping  fading off a bit. I found with being careful with the panel line wash, it helps compensate for the lack of crispness. Two areas I have found lacking: a detailed painting guide for the parts so far and there isn't any stencil data included for the fuel cells: small issues. Overall, I'm very happy with the fuel cells and am getting the feel of the kit.

Peter