Roden 1/32 Fokker DR I

CANicoll

I know you don't, Mike. I'm just going off what I recall (or think I recall). Now that it's been brought up, I do seem to remember someone saying that the F.I Voss flew, in particular, was presumed to be blue underneath the streaky finish.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A WWI aeroplane colour discussion. Look away, Chris, follow the kit instructions, find a scheme you like and work to that

Whatever you do, don't start thinking about the effects of panchromatic film - this way madness lies

It's one of the many causes of AMS, and can lead to abandoned models - trust me, I know from bitter experience

Richard

Looks pretty cool. One thing I noticed though, is that all the streaking on wings, is running at the same angle as the ailerons, and as far as I remember, this is incorrect.

Hi Kevin - Well spotted. Based on a number of photographs that I've seen, the angle of the streaking on the ailerons does not match the angle of streaking on the wings... this site contains quite a number of useful period photographs: http://www.fokkerdr1.com/

Cheers!

John.

Hi Kevin - Well spotted. Based on a number of photographs that I've seen, the angle of the streaking on the ailerons does not match the angle of streaking on the wings... this site contains quite a number of useful period photographs: http://www.fokkerdr1.com/

Cheers!

John.

Yep, that's an excellent site, for sure; very helpful when looking for specifics, and nice artwork too. I've got quite a lot of Fokker Dr.I books, and my recollection when doing my Encore kit, was that the streaking was not the same, being roughly 45° on ailerons, and 30° on wings.

Nice choice, Chris! I was thinking of doing the same scheme someday.

Somewhere I saw an article where the modeler sprayed soft variations of light and dark green at the correct angle then went back over it with the brushed-on oil paint streaks. Was very effective. 

Nice choice, Chris! I was thinking of doing the same scheme someday.

Somewhere I saw an article where the modeler sprayed soft variations of light and dark green at the correct angle then went back over it with the brushed-on oil paint streaks. Was very effective. 

Thanks Ray.  I was at the craft store today looking at what they had in terms of oil paints and such.  This will be a very interesting exercise!

Thanks Ray.  I was at the craft store today looking at what they had in terms of oil paints and such.  This will be a very interesting exercise!

You can do it, and it's a lot easier than you might think. I just taped the wings at a 30° angle to the ruling of some notebook paper, to serve as a guide for the brush strokes on the wings. Same with the ailerons, except taped at 45°.

This is how i understand as well - the first (three?) "F.I" may have been blue overall with streaks over that topside but production Dr.I were left clear doped (a beige) on the top and the streaks placed over that with the undersurfaces done in blue.

The gentleman in the thread linked below is building an Roden "F.I" flown by Voss and his streaking method is top notch (hmm, that sounds a bit off but ah-well :) ) - I would try to replicate how he did it but just use a beige undercoat instead of blue (several hobby paint mfg actually have a clear doped linen color in their ranges as well)

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7627.175

Your start on the engine is top notch as well - looking great

Patrick - this is amazingly helpful; thank you so much for posting the link.  I'm laying down a base coat today, will get it sealed and then will be giving this a go.  I actually have a 1/48 Mustang I use as my paint mule to practice on so pray for me.   :hmmm:  :mental:  :popcorn:

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Super start on the Fokker and greatly enjoying the comments and information being shared. I have to admit when it comes to The Great War, my knowledge is severely limited and I have a lot to learn.

will be following with great interest and go slow so I can take loads of notes

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Kevin, Peter - thank you!

It is an interesting kit - the fit is pretty good although I can see on the seams I'll be using some putty.  The top fuselage seam seems to be a bit recessed compared to the surrounding surface - I'll get some pics up.  Here is the cockpit at the moment.  The floor is Vallejo Wood, very light overspray of Burnt Umber, then a black wash wiped in the direction of the grain with a paper towel.

DSC_0293_zpsdf5awsjy.jpg

Started in on a bit of the painting as I like to do.  I've been asked for a worn/faded plane so this helps me figure out the look.  And I got the red right this time.  No orange!

DSC_0291_zps0sa3dp1l.jpg

I think I may have sorted the issues I've been having with the Vallejo paints.  First - watched a lot of YouTube videos on the paint.  That helped by suggesting shorter spraying sessions before I wash out the airbrush.  The nozzle and my nozzle guard was actually getting jammed up with paint.  I also pick up some retarder as well.  

Amazing.  Also, and I know this is strange, but I'm spraying at 20 psi and the paint is going on so smoothly.  Beats me but I'll keep an eye on it.

(Oh, had to buy a new PC and do not have the photo editing programs on it yet, sorry).

So to get a 'green' base for the streaking I looked and looked and I just don't have a lot of olive choices.  I'm a guy - they all look the same to me.  :innocent:   SOOO I actually am using a base of RAF interior green.  I'm streaking it with the oils, but still am doing a bit of the 'white basing' technique - and I still have to figure out how to do a video of it!

Also picture is my 'paint mule' a 1/48 Mustang.  I previously primed it with the same primer on the Fokker, and same Model Master RAF interior green.  Will start streaking on the Mustang but probably not until Tuesday.  WILL take pics of that!.

DSC_0288_zpszxfrhdaz.jpg

DSC_0290_zpsmfjkoikm.jpg

So that's where I am now.  Super Bowl is on. :popcorn:

Edited by CANicoll

You can do it, and it's a lot easier than you might think. I just taped the wings at a 30° angle to the ruling of some notebook paper, to serve as a guide for the brush strokes on the wings. Same with the ailerons, except taped at 45°.

Kevin,

Did you do the same angle across the wings, or did you do a right slant and a left slant?  I'm still looking at pics, but it seems that the lines went the same way all the way across the wing.

Chris

Kevin,

Did you do the same angle across the wings, or did you do a right slant and a left slant?  I'm still looking at pics, but it seems that the lines went the same way all the way across the wing.

Chris

Yep, same angle, slanting from right, down and left. Since your ailerons will be red on top, streaking them is of course, irrelevant. One thing though, there was always a thin strip of the bottom turquoise, that lapped over and onto the fuselage sides.