Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

MustangManiac

Yea the cylinders themselves have kinda thrown me for a loop. I've seen them both ways in pictures of engines that are supposedly still original of the few that still remain today and of other people's builds of this kit, so in this case I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and try to accomplish some more of the build.

Cheers,

Brady

Hi guys!

I got a bit more done this afternoon. I finished the rear portion of the engine. Here's what it looks like on the rear side:

IMG_20150913_150736_873_zpsfrqbdws7.jpg

I may repaint the cylinders with the black they call for since most of this is dry fitted anyway, except the small parts on the rear. I'll just have to do a lot of liquid masking on the crankcase between the cylinders first to keep it gray. That's all until I get more time, which I know won't be a lot. I've gotta work full time and go to college to get my A&P license along with having a 3 year old and another one on the way, sooooo yea not a lot of bench time.

Cheers!

Brady

Hi Brady,

I'd say that if you don't have a lot of bench time then leave the cylinders as they are, you will struggle to see them once they are in behind the cowl anyway....

Move onto the next part of the build and just remember to go with black on your next one.

Just my 2c worth.

BTW looks good and I am grateful to everyone who has posted the photos.... will be of use when I start my Zero

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I made my corrections to the cylinders of the engine and this is what she looks like now: 

IMG_20150922_140836_553_zps6fv66wnb.jpg

IMG_20150922_140942_635_zpscxaufjzb.jpg

IMG_20150922_141228_606_zpsu3yf35kh.jpg

Here's what she looks like in the cockpit now:

IMG_20150922_213335_578_zps8tkrncma.jpg

IMG_20150922_213505_302_zpsr3aiuc8y.jpg

I've done more but I haven't taken pictures of the tail assembly and the paint job of the wheel bays and inner flap areas yet.

Cheers,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I'm back with some more pictures of more progress I've gotten done. I assembled the tail and dry fitted it and the wings to the fuselage for some pictures of what it looks like now. Here they are:

IMG_20150927_212320_766_zps5lm55hg0.jpg

IMG_20150927_212333_249_zpszai6ulyy.jpg

IMG_20150927_212420_043_zpst6kmodao.jpg

IMG_20150927_212437_513_zpsgzigekvj.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Brady

Looking great indeed!

Starting to look like a Zero!  IIRC, the rear decking under the canopy is supposed to be black, rather than the interior color you have on there now.  I only mention in the event you want to change it before the canopy gets attached :)

Doug

Having just finished this part of after looking through documentation, (at least on Nakajima ac I think) Doug is 100% correct. Flat black for the rear decking.

Mitsubishi built airframes, its the same black as the cowl, slight blue hue to it. Nakajima built airframes, it was also black, but without the blue hue to it, inner cowls were also painted in the same colours per manufacturer. All Zeros at Pearl Harbour were Mitsubishi built as I recall. Wheel wells for Mitsubishi built Airframes were the underside colour, oleos black, gear doors underside colour, the metal door retraction bits, gloss black. 

Edited by ade rowlands

That engine is looking WONDERFUL.   

The decking color also holds true to use flat black on the decking for Nakajima built A6M2-Ns as well. However the green/blue Aotake color normally applied (just a green/blue tint to the clear they used to tell where they had been) was instead just a clear on the inner cowl, inner fuse and inner flaps (no wheel wells of course), and appeared as silver and not blue/green.

Hi guys

OK I found multiple sources saying I did it wrong on the cockpit decking. How about the headrest? Does it get painted black too? While we're at it, is the inside of the cowling Aotake or black on the Nakajima A6M2?

Thanks in advance,

Brady

Edited by LSP_Kevin