• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 FunkyZeit

FunkyZeit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:05 AM

Rog, every model can be made great. My only suggestion is manage your expectations. I went into the 219 build with the idea that since it was twice the price of a Tamiya kit - then it HAD to be twice as good. Sure, in some areas it was - but in other areas it wasn't. The 219 kit had me lay up modelling for over 6 months - I'm just now starting to build again. Your experience may be totally different, maybe you thrive on the challenge. Every area that I struggled with, Peter met the same struggles. I may be guilty in saying that it's a bad kit because it wasn't an easy kit. I think I've maybe used the word "bad" too many times when speaking of the ZM 219. The words I should be using are: "it's a hard kit". It's by no means paint by number, shake and bake or whatever other sayings we can use about perfectly engineered kits. I will tell you that the kit itself and all of the challlenges I faced, ten fold increased my skills. So for that, I'm thankful.

Somewhere on these great forums you can follow some of what I'm taking about in my build thread. Around half way through I stopped posting as I was just too frustrated. Nearing the end, you can find some finished photos of it. It's truly a beautiful model.

If you have any questions about the kit or about 219's - let me know.

Justin
  • Martinnfb likes this

#47 Bomber_County

Bomber_County

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

I think Peterpools was building a a ZM 219 and if I remeber he put it onto the back burner for a bit, maybe worth having a dig.......
  • Martinnfb likes this
Phil.

LSP - On the bench - Tamiya Birdcage, SH Tempest V - hi tech
LSP - Stash - Tamiya Mosquito, Revell Ju87B, 1/24 P51D Mustang

#48 Madelf75

Madelf75

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:46 AM

At Omaha, there was a ZM and Revell sitting side by side, and you could not tell the difference. Personally, I would use the Revell.........Harv 

I can tell you that both He-219 at Omaha were  ZM kits because one of them was mine 

• Martinnfb likes this

#49 Madelf75

Madelf75

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:49 AM

the Revell it is nice but if you want one that is correct the ZM kit is the way to go its not a bad model kind of over engineered . i have built one before it goes together well and i have another one ill build some time in the future .

Steve

#50 Padraic Conway

Padraic Conway

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

I love the 219. I have both ZM & Revell kits. I'm also in the UK like Simon, where the price differential between these 2 is significant. £120 vs £25 if I remember correctly (I bought my ZM kit at Telford so no import duties - I had previously been put off by the price, but I caved.). I fully understand and appreciate the accuracy issues of both (and, being as constructive as possible, the firmly established positions taken by the 2 modelling camps on here of 'accuracy' and 'looks good').

But being realistic, an almost five-fold price difference? And the Revell kit builds well?

I would suggest that each model has its place. But perhaps AM for the Revell kit needs careful thought as purchasing this will very quickly eat into the ££ between them (and, has already been highlighted, not address the shape issues of the kit) . Wheels and cowl flaps as suggested; much more (such as the £75 'detail up set' available for the Revell kit) might be argued to be counter-productive.

Remember when we just had the ID & Combat Models He219 vac kits to choose between?

We are so fortunate today :). I will enjoy both of mine.

Padraic

• Tony T likes this

#51 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

Very useful information.

I have the Revell 219 A-7 for "another lfe" and was wondering if anyone has used the Profimodeller (or other make?) brass antler horns, and can vouch as to complexity and overall benefit from substituting the plastic parts.

The Profimodeller brass gun barrels and LG reinforcing pins are already tucked into the Uhu box.

Tony
Finally spraying again

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users