Trumpeter Yak-18 "Max"

LSP_Ray

Ray I have this kit as well and you're doing an excellent job with it.Really makes me want to get this one going...nice work on the cockpit...cheers

Dave old chum you read my thoughts. Tony Mollica gave us the drum on where a few cheap kits were and I scored the last one so I'm in as well mate. You've given me all the ref material I need. :P

Great job Ray...very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating to show I HAVE been working on this thing!!! Between my daughter's sports events and catching up with everything else it has been a struggle to find time!!!

Anyway, I have the major components together, so here are a couple of pics:

post-39-1202319402.jpg

post-39-1202319409.jpg

I have already started on the seams, but quite a lot to do yet. The seam at the front of the cowl will be the hardest to deal with due to all the curves and rivet detail. The cowl doesn't fit too well to the rest of the fuselage, either. Did a little bit of re-contouring, but not much.

I have been using different types of fillers, you can see the white patch which is epoxy putty, and I used some gel superglue, but I am trying to use as much as possible chunks of sprue mixed with Tamiya glue for the seams. by using the same plastic as the kit, the color matches so imperfections show up better, and it sands the same as the rest of the plastic.

So hopefully will be able to paint in the not-too-distant future, but sanding seams - and dealing with the canopies - to finish first!!

Good work Ray. Looks like you're nearing the painting stage. I agree with Dave, tell us about that jig thing you're using - did you make it yourself or is it a commercial product?

Kev

Oy! You would ask me about the stand! I will try and remember where I got it. I don't even think there is a name on the stand either. It is a commercial product, I bought it several years ago. I wish I had bought a couple now as it is very handy and I always have more than one project going on at a time. IIRC, I tried to get another one awhile back and they seemed to be out of business. Wouldn't be that hard to duplicate though, with some woodshop experience.

Thanks Azgaron!

That base is essentially the same design as mine, just some detail differences. I took a look at mine last night, not a single identifying mark anywhere!!! If I can figure out where I got it and if they are still available, I will let you guys know. I still would like another one for myself!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's going. I am hoping to throw some primer on it tonight. I just finished up the seams last night. So after fixing the typical flaws that will show up after tonight, I will work on the canopies and then time for some real painting!!

I got slowed up on the build by a bit of sickness and problems with my daughters cat. He is going in for his second surgery today. Fluid build up in his chest is making it difficult for him to breathe. Don't ask how much this is costing me!!!

Don't ask how much this is costing me!!!

I feel your pain, Ray. My American Bulldog, Penny, who I got for "free" has cost me several thousand dollars for spay/dental/knee replacement surgery. But, they ARE family, so what can you do? :(

Lee

Exactly, Lee.

Unfortunately, two operations and several treatments later, Artamas ended up having to be put to sleep. His body simply would not stop producing scar tissue in his chest cavity, effectively slowly suffocating himself. It was very sad, as he was a special - and large (20 lbs!) cat - with a special personality. It devastated my daughter especially as he was her favorite.

Hi Ray,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you and your daughter- As I said, they are family, and losing a pet can be hard on folks- I don't know what more I can add- :lol:

Lee