Horten 11/21 - She's got legs...

Bill_S

An FYI - The tires are not "Continental"; they are "OONINENTAL" - a similar strategy to the "GOODYEARN" AM tires I've seen. Smart!

lol.....................maybe it was in their plan all along, but you might just be able to shave the center right side out of the first O in "OONINENTAL".

lol.....................maybe it was in their plan all along, but you might just be able to shave the center right side out of the first O in "OONINENTAL"

You can be assured that it was planned - for legal reasons.

You can be assured that it was planned - for legal reasons.

lol, I meant maybe it was in their plan to make the "C" in Continental  an "O" ( as apposed to a different letter besides O ) so someone could just chop out part of the O and make it into a C.

lol, I meant maybe it was in their plan to make the "C" in Continental  an "O" ( as apposed to a different letter besides O ) so someone could just chop out part of the O and make it into a C.

Well, of course. They do this all the time on the road wheels for armor kits, otherwise Continental would put out a hand for royalties.

Landing gear installed.

DSCN0390%5B1%5D.jpg

A note to those on the fence about buying this kit: The framework appears very complex, but in reality, it's not bad at all. ZM has done an outstanding job in the design and execution of this plane. The instructions are very well done, too.

As an engineer, I've had the opportunity to analyze a truss or two; I'm in awe of the German engineers who had to do it for this bird using only paper, pencil, and slide rule!

Next up is the cockpit. ZM has graciously supplied two instrument panels; one molded in gray, the other in clear. The decal sheet provides enough decals to complete both of them. I'll build up both, then decide which one to use. The remainder of the cockpit is both small and simple.

Gray IP: a first coat of Tamiya semi-gloss black.

DSCN0392%5B1%5D.jpg

Once dry, I'll give it a coat of MM RLM 66 enamel. Then selective removal of the gray to let the black bezels stand out.

For the clear IP, the decals are applied to the back. Masking of the instrument glass is required. Tedious. I opted to dilute PVA with water and use it as a mask. The first attempt, once dry, was unacceptable. The glue dries clear.

I put a drop of food coloring in the diluted PVA.

Out came the eye loupe and my trusty 10/0 brush...

DSCN0388_1.jpg

The two outboard instruments are angled, and I had to mask them separately. I'm giving the clear panel another day or two to dry thoroughly, then paint with the black and gray...

DSCN0391_1.jpg

In the mean time, I'm working on the engines. More soon.

Edited by Bill_S

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...