WACO Glider in Dreaded 1/35 Scale Coming!!

Bill Cross

Not insignificant, then. Vwry significant indeed, I'd say! Stupidest decision ever in the entire history of scale modelling EVER, I'd say! But I am a fully paid up grumpy old git, so that might have a bearing on my opinion....

110% agreed, as another grumpy old so-N-so!

Not insignificant, then. Very significant indeed, I'd say! Stupidest decision ever in the entire history of scale modelling EVER, I'd say! But I am a fully paid up grumpy old git, so that might have a bearing on my opinion....

Yes, that's going to change their minds FOR SURE!!! :rofl:

110% agreed, as another grumpy old so-N-so!

:rofl: :rofl:

Guys, stop fighting the scale wars and enjoy the paras. Why would it matter that the glider is in 1/35th scale when ALL THE FIGURES YOU COULD EVER WANT ARE IN THE SAME SCALE??????

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Guys, stop fighting the scale wars and enjoy the paras. Why would it matter that the glider is in 1/35th scale when ALL THE FIGURES YOU COULD EVER WANT ARE IN THE SAME SCALE??????

Because I build aircraft models, not figures. 

I never did play with dolls...

D

No different that the hew and cry 25 years ago for 1/35 helicopter kits so they could be put in dioramas with 1/35 armor.  Never mind the fact that you virtually NEVER see helos and armored vehicles operating together, and 25 years later I've yet to see such a diorama.

Well now you have - Ferret scout car, Cheetah helicopter (aka UH-1), Rhino protected rail trolley and Wickam rail trolley.  All 1/35th scale :rolleyes:

35929910796_640a3c180b_z.jpgmodel 068 by tankienz, on Flickr

And Rhodesian Cheetah, MAP 75, Crocodile, Pooky, Mine Protected Land Rover and Kudu.  You guessed it all 1/35th scale.

41663334961_c5ccf040d3_z.jpgmodel062 by tankienz, on Flickr

Edited by dcrfan

Dont get me wrong, it looks like a lovely kit. Its just a personal thing............................

I would likely buy one, as I find the look of the WACO much cooler than the Bronco as gliders go, but just zero interest in owning, or building 1/35th. No offence or disrespect intended to those that 1/35th doesnt bother, but the difference in scale appearance is just way too great for me in most circumstances, save figures occasionally in certain situations. 

Dont get me wrong, it looks like a lovely kit. Its just a personal thing............................

I would likely buy one, as I find the look of the WACO much cooler than the Bronco as gliders go, but just zero interest in owning, or building 1/35th. No offence or disrespect intended to those that 1/35th doesnt bother, but the difference in scale appearance is just way too great for me in most circumstances, save figures occasionally in certain situations. 

Use a long towline and no-one will notice the size difference between the glider and the tug

An interesting aside. During the war these were  hurriedly made. At St. Louis the contractor who manufactured these simple gliders had a wee problem in the plant. 

At the presentation ceremony where the first completed glider was demonstrated there was a big to do held including a flyby of the first one produced at the plant. 

It was a festive occasion with bands, politicians, just lots of people. 

The presentation glider was loaded with politicians and people who had pull. Even the mayor of St. Louis was aboard. 

The glider was towed into the air and once up the wing broke off and it crashed, killing a bunch of politicians, including the mayor himself. 

Subsequent investigation revealed that there was a part that held the main wing strut to the fuselage. One of them failed and the wing broke off. 

When the tool worker who drilled out this casting was interviewed by the authorities if turned out that where was no stop on the drilling machine. He would drill into the casting to a depth he considered the correct depth, visually.  No measurements, it just looked good to him. No foreman taught him to set a depth stop.

Somebody always does not get the word. :shrug:  

:punk:

Details of this sordid incident can be found here:

http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/getting-the-gliders-off-the-ground/

Edited by coogrfan

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Indeed, the Marx Brothers should have made a movie about this mess.

Or, at least The Three Stooges.

I do not know why the mayor's wife was miffed about not being allowed to fly on it with her husband. Probably the best decision her  husband the mayor ever made in her favor.

Now that I reflect on it, my father was an inspector on B-29 manufacture. I think he worked on the engines.  As is well known, the engines on the early B-29's were prone to failure. :whistle:

It is too bad he passed away 30 odd years ago. I would have liked to discus this with him. 

Oh well.

Well now you have - Ferret scout car, Cheetah helicopter (aka UH-1), Rhino protected rail trolley and Wickam rail trolley.  All 1/35th scale :rolleyes:

35929910796_640a3c180b_z.jpgmodel 068 by tankienz, on Flickr

And Rhodesian Cheetah, MAP 75, Crocodile, Pooky, Mine Protected Land Rover and Kudu.  You guessed it all 1/35th scale.

41663334961_c5ccf040d3_z.jpgmodel062 by tankienz, on Flickr

I am working towards the long term goal of having military railroads in 1/35/1/32 scale, using G gauge track. In Europe it is number 1 gauge, made by Marklin but 1 gauge is 1/32 scale. The gauge is for both is 1.75 inches, more or less. So as far as I am concerned 1/32 and 1/35 are the same thing. I have this long term goal of setting up some radio control on the RR guns shooting airsoft ammo (whatever that is). If I can make the track run the whole width of the back yard I will have the RR gun on one end of the layout come out of a cave and fire its gun. Then on the other end of the model railroad I will have a model house blow up. Should be fun. All I need is unlimited time.