Trumpeter's F-105G - What do I need to know?

AnthonyWan

Guest Clunkmeister

I'll weigh in here with some personal observations of my own. Off topic a bit, but still relevant, IMHO. And they are NOT a criticism, other than a rehashing of my own previous mistakes.

"Back in the day", a few years ago, right here on LSP, I bought a Jerry Rutman P-51B and P-47 Razorback.  I knew nothing of him or of his kits, but instead bought them with absolutely no expectations whatsoever.

My total resin experience involved building a Fisher Sea Fury as well as many HO scale rolling stock kits and locomotive shells.

When I opened the box of the P-51, I was shocked with what I saw and immediately launched into a diatribe on here about how I thought the thing was rough and "unbuildable" without mountains of blood, sweat, and tears on the bench. I knew nothing really, , I had no backdata to base my opinion on, I just ran my mouth. Full speed.

Needless to say, I was quickly put in my place, and was educated in the history of 1/32 scale and how there used to be absolutely nothing available, and about how Jerry pioneered some of the first truly accurate 1/32 resin kits to come down the line. then I was told how he did this at home, using basic materials and much common sense, and helped pioneer the push for the truly accurate and groundbreaking LSPs we have on the market today.

Of course I felt stupid, and proceeded to build the little Mustang into a fairly decent representation of a P-51B that now sits in a friend's display case. I then went out and bought another one to build, this one super detailed, for me. 

I now try to learn the facts about something before running my mouth, and also realize that, to coin a catch phrase today, "words do matter", and saying the wrong thing, even out of ignorance of the facts, can cause serious unfair damage to a company and a family.

At the Nats this year, after talking to Gary many times over the years, I finally met him. We hung out. He's a great guy who's passionate for Phantoms, 105s, and all things that burn gross smelly fuel oil instead of proper aviation gasoline.

I also met many other of our vendors, folks just like us who are passionate, about this hobby. 

Barracuda was set up right behind me at the vendors table.   Another good guy, and the list of "who's who" in the modeling world that passed through his booth was amazing. All great guys. thanks to guys like Roy, I left the Nats pretty much destitute.

Gary makes a great product. He does much for our hobby, as do others. GT's stuff is pretty much required to do a Trumpy 105 and sure makes a Tamiya F-4 a whole lot nicer.

I'm a real fan.

My point of all this, is Anthony, you should try his stuff. Then tell us about your experiences with it. It's a great product that helps turn a really bad kit into a really nice finished product. I'm positive you'll agree. :)

Edited by Clunkmeister

The ongoing problem which has perenially stalled my own F-105G project is the cold mould lines running through the transparencies - was this malaise corrected on more recent editions?

This is something you may need to check on your own kit.

Anyone have the address for the Trumpeter spare parts service? Wondering if there are replacements in their catalogue ?

If the postage is good I'm after the GT Resin canopy hood interior framing, which I rate as essential for this kit - once the right clear parts are to hand

Tony

edited for emphasis on the canopy issue

Tony, buff that casting line down starting with 800 grit then move up to 1200 and then 2000. Hit it with some polish and it will be gone!  Just don't gorilla grip the canopy or you will break it.  Holding it while polishing seems to be the hardest part.

... and another recommendation for Gary's GT resin line.

Regarding the Thud, many models such as the Monogram and Trumpeter portray the radome-to-windscreen area as far too straight a line, giving it what I call the sharpened pencil look. There should be a definite curve there. Roger Jackson (many years ago) grafted on a MiG-25 nose by way of correction, but that looked a bit too much to my eye.

One fix that I saw and adopted (albeit for the Monogram kit) is to insert a couple of just very slightly oversized sprue spacers at about the halfway point and again just in front of the radome join in each fuselage half. The distortion induces enough of a curve to vastly improve the shape IMHO, though on the larger kit, it might also induce a fine gap to be filled.

Somewhat surprised and very disappointed at your statement regarding paucity and respectfully disagree.  GT Resin is a sponsor here of what is one of the most active vendor forums on LSP and supports the site with our time, treasure, and in bringing in new members to LSP through our products.   In speaking of reviews, neither you or any other moderator have asked for samples to review, and I have been to busy filling the great demand for our stuff to even think about or need a review.   I would suggest that you look at the under construction and completed build threads that use our parts for F-105, F-4, and F-15 Builds over the last 4 years...over half and for being a new company operating less than 4 years I am very proud of that fact.  We have had our products used on many contest models around the world that have placed and won, and in particular the Beautiful F-105G that won the "Route Pack 6a- USAF Award" at the NATS this year using our F-105G Super Set.  

I am also proud to say that we have invested over $100,000,  money that I could have been spent elsewhere,  into the 1/32 scale community to make products for the community that no on else even considered, or when made where wrong and inaccurate.    What is most discouraging is when members like Anthony make general negative comments without any basis in facts, just hearsay.   I don't like them but have learned it is part of the landscape of the internet where hearsay seems to be what forums are all about. The term 'Mixed Reviews" can mean anything from and Air bubble in the part  to the part being to difficult for the modeler to install or they broke the part.  Our Warranty gives the original GT Customer one free replacement of each part even is they break it themselves during a build, they just have to pay for postage.   Who else does that or even responds to customers on the internet.???... no one has a better warranty, no one!  Why, because it sucks to break a part of an expensive set and to have no other recourse than to buy a second set, hence our policy.  Now if someone does not like me because I am me then they have to get over it, because I ma not changing for anyone.

I would remind you that I was a member here first, and became a vendor because there was a need for the products we  make that no other company saw fit to bother with in the 1/32 community.  IN plain English I started doing this and put my modeling aside and money at risk for those here.  I feel though that over the past two years that this fact was forgotten by the staff here, and quite honestly I am very discouraged by your comments.   Why don't you ask Anthony what he means by his comment of 'Mixed Reviews" and discuss what that comment really means as fact, not innuendo?  I would think that such a discussion would be not only be of benefit to members, but to the Vendor as well.  

The discouraging side of going into business is the sort of comment made by Antony are purposely vague and intended to cast doubt on a companies products thereby negatively influencing those who might buy the products by someone who is not a customer.  The sites failure to challenge this type of innuendo behavior in reality only encourages it.  I thank those that have purchased and have stepped up to support what we do here based on the products they have bought, not some hearsay chat room or forum speculation.

So, you're angry that he pointed out that there has been only one review of your products? I'd think that you'd jump at the chance to get more exposure, not be 'disappointed'. 

So, you're angry that he pointed out that there has been only one review of your products? I'd think that you'd jump at the chance to get more exposure, not be 'disappointed'. 

Who is angry?  Not me.  Being disappointed is not anger and pointing out that the hearsay environment exists does not do any one any good is long over due on the internet.   The comment is that the membership has not been served buy the staff validating a hearsay comment by basically apologizing for doing only one review validates that kind of behavior.  The lack of reviews  is not my doing and the statement of only one review reinforces the negative comment Antony made.   Forgive me for being perhaps too sensitive but I make every part, and when someone has a problem, and there have been some, I fix it immediately!!  What makes me disappointed is that being a Sponsor and someone who has invested heavily in this community I get no support or benefit of the doubt from the staff.   The recent Private sale I had of the Wild Hare kit was a prime example.  Because I would not put up with the abuse of a couple of members who do not care for deliberately and with maliciously trying to ruin my sale, I was lectured about how I should tolerate that abuse vs those bad actors being addressed for their poor conduct.   When someone deliberately tries to harm another members reputation, private sale, or business it should be immediately dealt with by the staff.  IF is valid then the staff is completely justified in posting the warning about the bad actor as has been done with one vendor.  To allow these negative, hearsay claims to be made without facts in the spirit to harm and individual or company is just plain wrong, on every level.

As for your suggestion I should jump at the chance, respectfully you are reaching an incorrect conclusion.   GT Resin is maxed out with what it can produce and sell,  I don't need to send out samples for review as modelers see it for what it is and perform their own review with their money....the ultimate review!  IN fact now that we are moving heavily into 1/48 scale, many of our products that have saturated the market are being discontinued to make room for new items.

What I don't like is the fact that moderators don't police hearsay comments and challenge those that make them to produce facts.  By not challenging then as I have suggested leaves the perception that the comments are correct and that the company is doing a bad job.  The comment about only reviewing one product supports the hearsay assertion in my opinion and can almost be described as an apology for not reviewing more.    Would suggest that the many build from members here that have used our products speaks for itself.   But in closing no one is angry at all.

Have a great day Lee

Edited by ghatherly

Like Ernie , I had the pleasure of hanging out with Gary and Roy at the show. I have had a few phone calls with Gary and was excited to met him. I have sent gobs of money to GT resin, and have not been disappointed one bit. Besides Gary is very knowledgeable and great to talk to. Can't go wrong with his parts. All are well thought out and very accurate and fit well. So try him ( I'll expect payment soon LOL).........Harv 

Gary, I really don't quite know where to begin here. First off, my reference to the paucity of GT stuff, simply refers to what has or has not been reviewed here, and absolutely nothing more needs to be read into that observation. I am well aware that your products are seen here on the site and that you are a sponsor. I am also equally aware that as frequently as not, those that review items here (including, but not necessarily exclusively the staff), frequently do so with items that they themselves have purchased. I, and many others, have reviewed many, many items that were paid for by me, with no vendor/sponsor input or contributions.

For whatever it may be worth, there are currently 120 individual authors listed under the reviews section, only a tiny percentage of which are, or have ever been moderators here.

As to moderator intervention regarding what might be perceived as negative commentary by another member, that's just something we typically don't do, regardless. To moderate (or censor) personal opinion and observation, is really not what LSP is about, nor should it be.

Gary, I really don't quite know where to begin here. First off, my reference to the paucity of GT stuff, simply refers to what has or has not been reviewed here, and absolutely nothing more needs to be read into that observation. I am well aware that your products are seen here on the site and that you are a sponsor. I am also equally aware that as frequently as not, those that review items here (including, but not necessarily exclusively the staff), frequently do so with items that they themselves have purchased. I, and many others, have reviewed many, many items that were paid for by me, with no vendor/sponsor input or contributions.

For whatever it may be worth, there are currently 120 individual authors listed under the reviews section, only a tiny percentage of which are, or have ever been moderators here.

As to moderator intervention regarding what might be perceived as negative commentary by another member, that's just something we typically don't do, regardless. To moderate (or censor) personal opinion and observation, is really not what LSP is about, nor should it be.

Hey Kevin,

I appreciate the clarification on the review process.   I hope though that that you understand my point of view as well, and I accept your explanation.  Thanks you.

As for Moderator intervention I could not more strongly agree and disagree.   I agree that you don't intervene and that is the correct posture over a disagreement.  What I am speaking of  with the "hearsay criticism" here and the "For Sale "  thread is that in both cases neither party had firsthand knowledge or a specific complaint, just comments meant to harm the person or company.  

IN the case here on this thread there is no observation at all, the guy by his own admission has never seen our stuff, but without so much as waiting for an answer rips us and goes negative with his  uninformed wrong opinion , as others have clarified for him.  

Just because one may have the right to say something does not mean they are exempt from the responsibility that comes with exercising that right.  Furthermore, if your policy is non intervention, then was not the case of the for sale thread stay out of it and let the battle begin.  Not everyone can afford a Ferrari, and those that cannot have no business commenting on Ferrari's for sale with those that can pay what it is worth.

What you don't realize is that the back biting and hearsay drive more modelers away from sites than they attract.   

Edited by ghatherly

How can "I hesitate to buy GT resins parts because I've heard mixed reviews" set someone off like this? Now if they had said 'your stuff sucks' then maybe a reply but not this.

Well, when you do something for people who you don't know that no one else will and you are criticized for it,  how should one react?  From my perspective 'Your Stuff Sucks" is exactly what he said.   IF you had read the entire thread you will see that I ignored Anthony's initial comment.   But when Kevin chimed in for no reason I do take exception to that as I have politely and professionally stated.  Now if I attacked your work based on what someone said would you not take it as I did?  IF you don't have that kind of pride of workmanship then you sir need to reevaluate.   Perhaps I should not care what people say and just let the standards of conduct, manners an common politeness further erode.   DOn't worry though, neither you nor Anthony ever have to concern yourself with using our products.

Edited by ghatherly

Your reviews say it all, Bill.

Gary's products are well-made, well-researched and competitive with what else is out there (where there even is something competitive). The BEST part about GT Resin, however, is that the products are consistently available.

I'm personally sick of hearing about products that were cast back in Aught Aught and are only available for $6,855 on eBay IF someone is selling a set. Cutting Edge can cut my ass, not because I'm not sure they're very fine, but they are functionally USELESS to me as a modeler. I'm #1 not going to pay through the nose for some collectible conversion kit, and #2 I don't have time to run these phantoms down.

If Gary's products have any issues, they are the usual resin problems: adapting a resin Phantom cockpit to the Tamiya kit, for example, which wasn't designed for one (and whose kit 'pit is primitive and unusable to most of us). If you aren't prepared to do a little cutting and sanding, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing resin AM upgrades. The results are worth it in my opinion:

img_6326__800x600_.jpg

Edited by Bill Cross

Guest Clunkmeister

Plus, the C.E. stuff out there is usually undersized. Most ALL the other burner cans sure are!

So unless you're ready to start wrapping PE burner cans, there's only one game in town if you're a Phantom Phanatic

Guest Smitty44

Used it, loved it, have more, and will buy more. I have not done a review as I have not done reviews before, but I will be sporting my new GT Resins tattoo in Phoenix!    :coolio:

Edited by Smitty44