IMCTH P51 Build Log

Jking207

Quick test fit of the Ma Deuces with the Aber barrels installed.  Drilled a 1mm hole in each .50 to accept barrels.  Guns can be fitted with the barrels installed.  A Sgt told me once that the difference between an M60 and M2 was the 60 (mmg) goes: going to get you, going to get you, going to get you while the .50 goes: got you, got you, got you.   Part of the reference was the cadence of fire between the two.

20170531_132325_741.jpg

Edited by Jking207

Thanks guys hope I can pull it off.  .50s primed with Tamiya White Primmer then Alclad Gun Metal and Dura.  Primer not good enough for any masking work, but keeps the paint on for light handling.  Not super thrilled with the results, missed some casting lines on top and the guns are kind of dark without the work light blasting on them.  

20170323_012140_zpsihavvuth.jpg

Looking really good. I used to apply Alclad gun metal to paint guns but I find it too dark. I prefer to use Alclad steel which much lighter, pretty close to Tamiya gun metal. Keep up the good work this is a fascinating build.

David

Part of the landing gear assembled, the last of the wing assemblies before the wings are joined.  Think I already mentioned the kit includes 2 sets of struts for landing gear.  The stowed set is longer to simulate the uncompressed strut without the load of the aircraft on it.  Everything is just tacked in at this point.  Front formers will be straighten once every is fitted.

Gear was polished then a clear coat of Mr. Primer was applied.  Main gear retract motor, gear cover, and door motor still have to be added, but that will after the wings20170610_215634758_zpsw5kdb3hv.jpg are joined.

The completed wing is as I just said, simply amazing in complexity, and I'm equally impressed that you were able to construct it so accurately. Your skills are certainly up to the task of building this kit. 

Joel

Guest Clunkmeister

Amazing build! Having Ma Deuce around keeps a platoon happy. The pig is good, but Ma Deuce is, well, you had to be there. :)

It tears stuff up good.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Thanks, yea in a light infantry unit it is one of the big boys.

Putting the gear cover on which was 3 hours ordeal not realizing complexity of the fit.  Managed to get it close, but I was really manhandling the wing for further adjustment and disaster was looming.  I found removing the front lip from the wing and gluing it to the cover made it much easier to install.  Build it gear down and you are golden with the gear covers.  The basic detail parts from the kit are all installed.  Might add brake lines and call it a day.  Just the fuel tanks and out lattice to install.

20170616_015559.jpg

Edited by Jking207

Fuel tanks were paint flat black then the surface detail was sanded to bare metal.  I sanded the flat black with 1200 grit trying to make it look more like rubber.  Not sure if I am going to revisit the tanks; will look at them again in the morning.

20170617_224557.jpg

Edited by Jking207