Making attachment to canopy

I have an idea for adding some detail to my F-35A canopy. On the real one in this picture there is a patch on each side of the rear portion of the canopy. possibly something to do with the explosive charge to blow the canopy? It's fairly prominent but missing on the model. I think these gun shields from my 1/700 ship would simulate the patch pretty well. The trick is how to attach them to the canopy and make them look good. I was thinking of using a clear glue. The last picture is my test with this on a piece of the sprue from the canopy. 

Has anyone done this before? If so I'd love some ideas to eliminate my experimentation and give me something that will look good :-) 

IMG_0772-S.jpg

IMG_0682-XL.jpg

IMG_0686-XL.jpg

For both by A & B versions in 1/48 I used just paper tape. Just long very very thin stripes from the inner side of the canopy to imitate all the fuse cords, including the small rectangular pieces on the rear. It doesn't require glue and is very forgiving regarding the proper alignment... It's just tape, you can take it off and on until you're happy with the result. Let me search for a couple of mins if I could find some old n-progress pics....

Hi Kev, it's something very similar to the tamiya masking tape, the yellow one, which I usually use for masking cause it's cheap (the paper tape). I'm just about sure that there is a piece of the exact same paper tape in this topic's second picture, on the canopy right above the pe plate... It could be a piece of Tamiya masking tape, the yellowish one, but the paper tape looks exactly the same. Indeed it might be a 'packaging tape'. I buy it from the local hardware store and as far as I know people also use it for masking the edges of the ceilings during interior painting, etc...

Edited by F`s are my favs

Whenever I have to attach a tiny PE piece to a clear canopy I use Micro Metal Foil Adhesive from Microscale. I paint the attached side of the PE with the stuff, let it dry, and then press it to the clear piece. No runs, no drips, and no errors! No glue splooges either!

O, I couldn't wait to try this out...I like the color of the tape best (I think the real one is only gold when reflecting light) but I like the way the future holds it cleanly to the tinted plastic. This shot is taken from the opposite side of the sprue so it will be similar, although cloudier, than when on the cockpit. 

F = Future, G=Glue, T=Tape

Let me know what you all think!

IMG_0703-X2.jpg

Edited by themongoose

• 1 month later...