Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

Hello !

Excellent work, so far.

Yes, there's a difference in size but if the alternate solution is home printed inkjet decal and liquid decal film, i would suggest to keep those you have set as you wouldnt get such a black density and thin carrier film .

I'd say go for alternate only if you are totally sure to obtain at least equal quality.

Moreover you'd have some damage on your paintwork after removal.

( I had the same questions in mind a few days ago due to a decal fail !)

I like it lke it is !

My 0.2€ opinion.

Best regards

Fanch

You already know the answer to that Q mate....

Are you trying to influence me?  bad bad Fred :)

Yes, there's a difference in size but if the alternate solution is home printed inkjet decal and liquid decal film, i would suggest to keep those you have set as you wouldnt get such a black density and thin carrier film .

I'd say go for alternate only if you are totally sure to obtain at least equal quality.

Moreover you'd have some damage on your paintwork after removal.

( I had the same questions in mind a few days ago due to a decal fail !)

Thanks Fanch. I have followed your Skull and bones mishap - your masking solution was awesome, creating these masks must have been an insane moment :)

i am not too concerned with the black intensity of homemade decals, never quite had issue with that. On the other hand your argument about paint damage is indeed what makes me hesitate.

I agree i think unless you do a model to picture comparison, nobody will notice. So it's probably not worth changing. The problem is that i'm angry with myself for not having realised soon enough :)

but I will play it safe. Thank you all for your input

Here is how big it was prior to the war:

Very useful as usual Jari, thanks

that probably explain the mistake Victory made. these are low vis right, the markings are not black but lighter grey.

Edited by red Dog

Well, in the end Fred was right - I couldn't help it  :mental:

removing the offending decal wasn't too difficult as they were not yet sealed with a gloss coat.

I simply used tamiya tape and removed the hairs ...err decals by removing the tape violently. Worked very well except for a few die hard bits which i removed with water and brush or bluetack on a toothpick.

A6A7_116_A7_decal.png

damage to the paint was minimal but a quick more session of corrosion control paint and protective gloss coat did the trick

A6A7_117_A7_decal.png

the new sized decals were printed with transparent inkjet decal paper and my home regular printer. The font is the usual NAVY font : Longbeach

A6A7_118_A7_decal.png

in the end, to me it was all worth the effort because

1. my pride is now put to rest because i had a hard time living with that mistake

2. it's much better to my eye

3. finally if all the decals guys made the mistake, i probably have something more unique in the end :)

A6A7_119_A7_decal.png

comparison with the old one:

A6A7_121_A7_decal.png

Apologies for the difference of colours due to oustide/inside shots

At the same time, I made some decals to marks the TERs

A6A7_120_A7_decal.png

It was well worth the time invested. I can now progress light hearted  :D

Edited by red Dog

Final stage was to coat the whole model with MRP-127 matt varnish.
First time I'm trying this brand for varnish and we all know how hard it is to find a good matt one. pretty happy with the result
It blends nicely, doesn't have too much of a white-out and gives satisfactory result to my eyes.

Then mating the AAR probe in the open position (it's only bluetacked so the angle is not yet perfect and attaching all the tiny destails such as pitot, AOA, antennas etc
and part one of this project is finished

A6A7_128_A7_final.png

A6A7_129_A7_final.png

A6A7_130_A7_final.png

A6A7_132_A7_final.png

A6A7_131_A7_final.png

Some comparison shots

A6A7_127_A7_final.png
A6A7_127_A7_final_real.png

A6A7_135_A7_final.png

Thanks for looking and please don't refrain critics, that's what I'm after :)

Edited by red Dog

Please don't take this wrong, the bombs look fantastic ! A little too rough for scale but look the part very well. The whole build is done very well. OK, cary on sir.....Harv :popcorn: