S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Amazing work Ben. Looking at this model you'd swear it was built from a kit, but to think that it's been built from scratch, and done to this level, I'd have to say that no plane in any scale is off the table you. Something I could only dream about!

Agree 100% !! Now imagine what he could do with a 1/18th scale Tomcat.

Steve

Ben, i'm still speachless to having to add anything that has been said already to your project.

Just awesome, frigging awesome, i'd like to see the end result very very much sometime in the future at any event in Belgium.

Jack.

Edited by Jack

Thank you all for your kind comments - I think I already mentioned it but they really help me to keep my motivation high. Thank you all! 

Agree 100% !! Now imagine what he could do with a 1/18th scale Tomcat.

Steve

I don't think I could make it any better than you, Steve! Anyway, I'd love to give it a go, but the models just aren't affordable anymore.

Ben, i'm still speachless to having to add anything that has been said already to your project.

Just awesome, frigging awesome, i'd like to see the end result very very much sometime in the future at any event in Belgium.

Jack.

Thank you Jack - would be great to meet you either in Mol or in Putte later this year. I hope I can finish the model until Putte at latest, but we'll have to wait and see - we are expecting a baby girl in May and I'm not sure I'll have enough spare time from that moment on...

I've continued wiring the gear wells, and now I consider the LH side main landing gear being finished. It still isn't as busy as the real thing, but this has taken me 4 evenings and I have to do the same on the other side again. With the landing gear doors in place, most of it will be hidden anyway.

img_4137vvri3.jpg

My friend Thomas has CNC-milled a few parts for me, which would have been impossible to make by hand (for me at least). First was the louvers below the APU. The panel is 10 x 12mm, just to give you an idea of the size. The aim was to install it flush with the fuselage.

The part to be installed.

img_4191l7oca.jpg

First, the postion has to be marked. I use a cutter which will later help to define the size of the recess to be created.

img_4192w4re2.jpg

The needed recess was created with a chisel.

img_4193rcr8w.jpg

img_4194yeomb.jpg

A bit of putty...

img_419544rs1.jpg

...5 minutes of rescribing and here we go.

img_4202s9r1p.jpg

Next was the sonobuoy launchers. Again, the main parts were machined by Thomas.

img_4205xvq35.jpg

More depth was needed, so the launcher tubes were made of aluminium tubes. They are inclined towards rear as on the real aircraft. Luckily for me, most of the sonobuoy launchers were deleted in the 1990's, so my late S-3B has only 16 of them left.

img_4206e9ocl.jpg

img_4207svr7m.jpg

The saw came out next.

img_4209x6qui.jpg

img_4212czp0h.jpg

Both launchers and the rear louvers installed and puttied. The underside just needs some sanding before I can get back to the landing gear bays.img_4214g6ot0.jpg