Paging Phantom Experten

D.B. Andrus

I'm still trying to find the post (or the guy) that made the bottom center engine doors and inside detail. Any help?..............Harv <_<

Bruce Radebaugh is his name and his post I believe was under the Vendor thread.

Have a few more questions. I'm doing F-4D # 68-8775. Lt. Col. Girard, 366th, Da Nang 1968. I have the Black Box LORAN resin pit. My question is, since this bird was not a LORAN one, can I use the pit? If so, what do I omit, if anything? Also, is there anything else on the kit that I need to adress? TIA.....Harv :unsure:

Harvey,

You should be able to use the cockpit as it is for a D model.

The primary piece of the LORAN equipment that was visible in the CP was the Control/Key Pad.

It was located above the Aft Inst. Panel and pretty much filled what little open space there was.

The WSO forward visibility was very nearly completely blocked by the installation.

Barry

Wasn't the screen in the back different on the LORAN setup as well??? i thought i read something about it having a square screen instead of the round one.. as in it was more like a TV than a cathode ray tube type? I may be (and probably am) wrong tho!

Jerry

Wasn't the screen in the back different on the LORAN setup as well??? i thought i read something about it having a square screen instead of the round one.. as in it was more like a TV than a cathode ray tube type? I may be (and probably am) wrong tho!

Jerry

You're right! Look here:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/fighter/f4_d/rwo.jpg

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/fighter/f4_d/rwo_loran.jpg

As promised here is an overall photo of 66-8709 at Udorn, with antennae of the Bendix APS-107 RHAWS array.

66-8709.jpg

Excellent discussion!

The broom is a nice touch.

Best Regards,

D.B.

Excellent photo D B!

That looks like a standard F-4D with the APS-107 gear. The antennae on the bottom of the nose barrel were exactly the same, but mounted on "shoes" - little bulges added to the nose barrel - so that the antennae 'stood' at the right angle.

The rear radarscope was replaced by the 'squarer' design during the early-mid 1970s as part of the F-4D/E Digital Scan Converter upgrade. The 'round' display is accurate for a late 1960s Vietnam jet.

The only problem you might face with the Tamiya kit is that the seats might be the earlier Martin Baker Mk5 type. I can't tell from the photo, but they don't look like the later zero-zero Mk.7s.

Best, Tony T

Hi D B and all with any interest in the nose antennae,

I have located a to-scale diagram showing the nose RHAWS antennae + "shoes" but can't post. They're on my desktop.

Send me an e-mail and I'll return them to you for posting, for everyone. The pair of jpegs come to about 160kb only, as they are line drawings.

The diagrams are relevant to the F-4D with the APS-107 config. (and also the F-4C Weasel).

Cheers

Tony T

Edited by Tony T

Hi D B and all with any interest in the nose antennae,

I have located a to-scale diagram showing the nose RHAWS antennae + "shoes" but can't post. They're on my desktop.

Send me an e-mail and I'll return them to you for posting, for everyone. The pair of jpegs come to about 160kb only, as they are line drawings.

The diagrams are relevant to the F-4D with the APS-107 config. (and also the F-4C Weasel).

Cheers

Tony T

Images from Tony T: "Attached are the diagrams and photos that I think will help you. It's my pleasure, as I've wanted to see these done properly for a long time!

The angular effect in the drawings would be rounded a little. They were not as sharp as shown."

APS-10720ER-14220nose20antannae20side20profile.jpg

APS-10720ER-14220nose20bottom20plan20view.jpg

D20inlets20RHAWS20showing20shoes20paint20in20inlets.jpg

The first photo shows the LORAN controls mounted center above Aft Inst. Panel.

The second photo shows a standard aft cockpit arrangement (if there actually was such).

There was no scope involved in the LORAN system as I remember. :hmmm:

The differences in the Radar Scopes was due to the different radar installed in the C and D models.

The C had the AN/APQ-100 and the D had the AN/APQ-109.

Barry ;)

Edited by Barry