F-4J Phantom II, 1/48, Zoukei-Mura

F`s are my favs

Take a look at what i was dealing with this Fall`16!!! :) The newest F-4J in 1/48 is a SWS kit from Zoukei-Mura and they invited me to participate in the kit`s Concept Note. Such an honor and excitement. About the model: i built it as a typical standalone model, nothing too fancy like movable parts, only some texturising, riveting, seatbelts from paper tape, and wiring. I may forget something, but the complete build review is in the book. I`m waiting it to arrive and to see which pics are included, and plan to post here something like walkaround pics. Here are just two from top and bellow. About the airframe: VF-92 Silver Kings from the Vietnam period - with the yellow tail, heavily weathered, parked, open canopies...

20170103_122327.jpg

20170103_122844.jpg

Now some texturising :) Yet in the Concept Note should be included more info (about how it looks before/after painting, which areas, etc.) and i tried to capture only the final effect as much as i can. So this is my first finished model with texturising. It`s 1/48 and the "textures" are much smaller, more subtle, and thus even invisible. Still at a certain angle... this is in dark room and with a small light pointed at a very shallow angle. I don`t know if the difference between texturising and preshading is noticeable...

photo_1_2.jpg

photo_3_2.jpg

photo_4_1.jpg

photo_2_2.jpg

... but at normal daylight the effect is basically invisible, and i weathered it quite much too, so the surfaces are not exactly glossy:

photo_1_3.jpg

Here the rivet lines of the stabilators are texturised, and it is more noticeable:

photo_2_3.jpg

photo_3_3.jpg

Phabulous Phantom! :) It`s a wonderful kit... it`s just connecting parts and the joint lines disappear. The canopy is so crisp and clear, because it`s very thin. The plastic is very strange - so dry and easy for sanding, like resin. The large parts are also thin and even look brittle, but when assembled and glued - become "rock solid". This kit in a word: sophisticated.

Yep, me too I think that this kit is something like the new "thing". I can`t compare it to the other Phantom kits, cause this is my very first Phantom kit, except that i only saw and reviewed the Eduard`s Rockin Rhino kit. However, compared to the other 1/48 models that i`ve assembled, this is the best one. I also checked out many videos of the new Tamiya`s Tomcat and in my opinion (from just watching videos) - this Z-M kit can be compared only to the new Tomcat. Cause any kit of a Phantom should after all, look like a Phantom; but here the construction manner is different, the large parts fit literally seamlessly, the plastic looks strangely fine, all gives that feel of a PRO kit, although the choice of just 1 decal set.

I'm just drooling looking at those pictures. An outstanding build, of what is certainly an outstanding model. Navy jets take a beating during deployment, so even well maintained aircraft tend to look that shabby. the Accademy kit surprised me in that it had a once piece upper fuselage, which completely eliminates the usual top seam and saves a ton of detail. The intakes even were a joy for a change. It also only came with one decal option. But there are so many AM offerings, it's just not a big issue with me.

Here's my Academy 1/48 scale F-4B. Cant' wait to see the ZM J parked next to it.

F-4B06_08_14_002.jpg

Joel

Milan,

PHABULOUS Phantom. 

:yahoo:  :wow:  :thumbsup:

Drooling at MY favorite  Jet. :wub: 

BRAVO. :clap2:  :bow: 

Maru,

Thank you for appreciating my efforts.  And those are the kit decals by Cartograf. Stencils by Academy which two more then 10 days to apply there were so many, especially on the bottom.

Joel

• 11 months later...