1/32 Seafire Mk17 Wingfold conversion + the rest

elric

Well here goes, my 1st Topic the Mk17, the aircraft chosen is SX156 of No 767 NAS, RNAS Yeovilton,1950.

I will be using the PCM kit MkIX + XVI & parts from Radu, GMF & Freightdog.

7236fa7f.jpg

The wings are from GMF & need to be cut for the fold, then some material removed by using micro chisels so the scratch on the fold can begin by using styrine, brass & etch.

bd9445e1.jpg

As the title suggests there are other Spits I have done but have never taken pics of my build, the main reason being I started this four years ago to try & complete 21 spits for 2011 the 75th Anniversary as it seemed there was not much going on for this & I would display them.

So whilst you wait for my next bit on the 17 here is the type 300 F.37/34

25609ac0.jpg

This was built using the Revell kit + Paragon conv. + Ventura decals.

Bob.

Edited by elric

Cool project Bob. I'd love to hear more about your prototype conversion. It's something I've been thinking about doing myself lately, but don't really know where to start. I just can't afford the new Aerotech kit unfortunately.

Kev

Looking forward to this! I was thinking of doing the same sometime..

Could you please give me a brake down of all the parts that you are use/sourced?

Cheers!

Hi Dave,

If you could send me a message with your email I will send you what I have.

Bob.

Cool project Bob. I'd love to hear more about your prototype conversion. It's something I've been thinking about doing myself lately, but don't really know where to start. I just can't afford the new Aerotech kit unfortunately.

Kev

Hi Kev,

On the prototype 300 I used the paragon Designs conv. kit + Ventura Decals, the conv. kit I think is now no longer made but now & again they appear. the decals are still available.

Not much to it really, the engine cowling has to be rounded of nearly through the plastic so I filled the inside edges with superglue, then just putting together the new prop, wheels, exhausts,wheel doors,radiator, rudder & canopy, the cockpit is as the MkI without the gunsight, no amour back plate to the seat & remove the undercarriage electrics & replace with the hand pump lever, this can be scratched or bought from Grey Matter Figures [GMF], Fill in the Tailwheel whole & fix the skid.

The only complicated part is re-scibing the wings on the 300 which I have done but am unable to locate the pic from which this was taken at this time + filing of the bubbles on the wings.

the Hendon Pagent Prototype in pale blue/grey when it 1st appeared to the masses with the name Spitfire had normal wings.

d4b6a2a1.jpg

2bc2547e.jpg

81bfd268.jpg

Edited by elric

Anyway I digress, The MK17,

the wingfold progressing slightly,

4c1032ba.jpg

Not much going to be left of the PCM fuselage, using the PCM rear fuselage from the Mk XVI conv. & the Griffin nose from GMF.

c0e13ce5.jpg

A little test fit.

20c6cc55.jpg

c58372a4.jpg

Bob.

Thanks Shawn M,

Ok away from the wingfold for a bit,

the griffin nose [GMF] the panel line for the top cowling on the kit is for the spit & on the Seafire goes straight round not at an angle as seen but to the dotted line, this means that the access panels are to be moved back slightly, now where did I put that scibber + the the access panel by the air intake is to be removed filled in with a bit of putty.

c3049e8d.jpg

most of the parts for this build I am using from left overs in the spare box from the other spits I have built, am using a 5 prop nose but on this aircraft it only had 4 so filler again this time araldite metal, why because I like it & it has a nice grey finish.

Another view of the test fit + pic of underside PCM fuselage or what will be left of it.

4c0f7167.jpg

ad59ed87.jpg

Bob.

Hey Bob, thanks for the info on your prototype builds. They look awesome! I see the Ventura decals on eBay occasionally, but I guess I'll need to scratch-build the conversion itself now.

Anyway, your Seafire is looking great, and your work is really impressive.

Kev

Hi all, thought I would show you the aircraft I am attemping to model.

7cd5be8e.jpg

bdc539e8.jpg

and to finish the evening with my Speed Spit.

d059e95e.jpg

For the Speed Spit. I used the Hasegawa MKV kit, part of the Paragon conv. kit for the prototype, put on a new canopy [scratch] nose, props spare box & added scratch rounded wing tips, also on the underside has an enlarged radiator

Bob.

Thanks Grant,

you might find it a bit much by the time this is finished when I said I had built 21 spits in 1/32 scale, that was for the start of 2011, the bug bit me & by Telford the UK Nats I had completed 28. Now it is 2012 the Mk17 will make it 32 that might be the last because my love is race planes & I have a few piling up in my stash to build.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Have you got the right nose for the Seafire, yours looks like a Spitfire XIV nose, whereas for the Seafire XVII you need the shorter Griffon nose as per the Spitfire XII. I sincerely hope this helps - it's a really nice project.

Andy