TBF-1C Trumpeter 1/32

DirkE

forgot that photo of the seat I used as a reference for mine for the chipping.

Cockpit_of_a_British_TBF.jpg

More progress on the middle section. I added more Archer rivets, although some of them won´t be seen once everything is wraped up. I am still not sure about painting that section. Specially the floor. I read somewhere that the middle-section of the early TBF were painted also bronze-green. Ok, I can live with that. But what happened to the floor? It spans from the middle section through to the area that was panted interior green. Was the floor painted completly in bronce-green? Did they just masked one area of the floor off and painted the rest in a different color? Idk.

20171210_213922.jpg

Anyway. I filled up the sink marks and the seam lines behind the pilot seat (see white filler). I think that those seam lines don´t look realistic. I try to eleminate them...lol

Dirk

Edited by DirkE

Hey Dirk,

Thanks for dropping by my build, you are doing a fantastic job with this one.  The bronze color was only done on the Grumman TBF versions and from what I have read, it includes the front and middle areas just like you said.  I have searched so many photos but I was never able to get a clear shot of how they transitioned the floor from the middle to the rear.  I ended up just masking the floor and painting it bronze for the front part and interior green for the rear.  I have no idea if that is correct though and I have a feeling it was all one color, I just don't know which.  I'm sure this isn't helping but you really can't see much once you have it all together anyway...

Bryan

Hey Dirk,

Thanks for dropping by my build, you are doing a fantastic job with this one.  The bronze color was only done on the Grumman TBF versions and from what I have read, it includes the front and middle areas just like you said.  I have searched so many photos but I was never able to get a clear shot of how they transitioned the floor from the middle to the rear.  I ended up just masking the floor and painting it bronze for the front part and interior green for the rear.  I have no idea if that is correct though and I have a feeling it was all one color, I just don't know which.  I'm sure this isn't helping but you really can't see much once you have it all together anyway...

Bryan

Thanks for the reply Bryan.

Well, I guess we looked mainly at the same photos. :-) I think as well, that it was painted in one color. But which one? Idk as well. I made the decision to split the floor in two colors. At the bulkhead.

Dirk

Edited by DirkE

concentrating more on the interior and bomb/torpedo bay.

20171213_114204.jpg

20171215_124334.jpg

That bomb bay got some PE parts and some wires (middle section). I am going to add small cables. One can be seen. I don´t know what they are for, but its looks nice and adds some cool effect to the rest. ;-)

I don´t know if ANA611 is correct for the TBF-1C bomb bay. But I think the early Avengers were painted light gray and at some point they switched to green.

avenger-00447.jpg

b5f0d22d78a644c619473530f792f83e--milita

Dirk

Edited by DirkE

working on the rear workstation. I used those Eduard pre colored PE set. Also preparing the next big step. Doing all those rivets . Therefore I tried to compare those from Archer with the ones from HGW. Well, HGW didn´t work. I tried them on a smooth and on a rough surface. I used Mr. Mark Softer beneath them. I dipped them into warm and hot water. I waited betwenn 6 and 12 hours before peeling of the film. Not a single rivet stuck the surface. So I will go with the Archer ones.

20171216_223100.jpg

20171216_223318.jpg

20171218_085958.jpg

20171218_090754.jpg

Mark 13 Torpedo and Grumman 150SE turret:

I think the torpedo is finished. Front section is painted with light gray. Aft with Alclad Airframe Aluminium and Dark Aluminium. I thought about to a bit more weathering. On a PT boat forum I found this info: "The afterbody is made of steel. The steel was rubbed down often especially just after a patrol with "Crotin Oil" which was the consistency of thin cosmoline, and was the same color as cosmoline. It was rubbed on to prevent corrosion. I was told this by Dick Lowe, a Torpedoman on PT323 and also by Beaty Lay a PT boat torpedoman on PT185. The old Mark 8 torpedoes had to be greased since they were inside the old torpedo tubes, So I imagine the afterbody of the Mark 8 was steel discolored by grease. (posted by Jerry Gilmartin) -> http://www.ptboatforum.com/cgi-bin/MB2/netboardr.cgi?fid=102&cid=101&tid=1508&pg=40&sc=20&x=0

Putting a yellowish paint over the steel...not my thing. Although you can replicate such grease when you mix vaseline with brown oil paint. I will put the torpedo aside and decide later.

20171219_120452.jpg

Mk_13_torpedo_maintenance_in_the_Aleutia

The 150SE turret.
Trumpeter wants that seatbelts are going to be added. I looked at several ref photos and found no such info. EDIT: There is a waist belt to see on the photo of the restored warbird. So it seems, that a waist-belt was used. And the shoulder-belt?

I thought about paint chipping on the seat as well. I think it had a cushion. At least I see it on one photo of a restored warbird.

20171221_082436.jpg

0037cbsq.jpg

88889e4fc27963dd6e31748ef4ad4a4a.jpg

p_T21-2b.jpg

TBM-3-_Turret-_Parts-_Catalog-_Grumman-1

Dirk

Edited by DirkE