Late TBF-1 Avenger conversion from TBF-1C

Durangokid

I've had this kit for 8 plus years but up until now I had not felt comfortable enough with my skills to take it on.  I've heard good things about the kit and from what I've built so far, it seems to be a good fit.  Since I'm glutting for punishment, I've decided to convert it to a late model TBF-1.  I got the idea after reading the account of a Marine crew from VMSB-143 while stationed on Guadalcanal.  The only problem is I have no reference photos to work with and even the plane number would be guess work.  So while I really want to build this particular aircraft, I'm still unsure in the end what I will do.  I do have some other ideas with a few reference photos.

Here is what I have for this build:

Trumpeter TBF-1C

Avionics TBF-1C cockpit (includes some of the turret parts)

Eduard interior set

MRP and MR. Color paints

Here are my refs:

Osprey TBF/TBM Avenger Units of WWII

Squadron TBM/TBF Avenger in Action (Aircraft #82)

Squadron TBF/TBM Avenger in Action (2011)

Detail & Scale TBF/TBM Avenger (Vol 53)

I've done tons of research for this conversion but there are some things I'm just not sure about.  That's where you guys come in.  Hopefully there are some Avenger experts out there that can help me out if there is something that I'm missing. 

Here is what I've read about the late model TBF-1 differences for the 1C:

- No rear cockpit.  Only the 1st 50 Avengers were delivered with the rear cockpit controls

- The rear windows are the same as the 1C

- Fuselage mounted gun

- No wing mounted guns

- Only slight differences in the front cockpit

- Antenna mask further forward and angled back slightly

- Bronze green cockpit with Interior green for all areas behind turret separation glass

Here are some things I'm not sure about:

-Position of the radio operators seat

-What equipment replaced the 2nd cockpit

Here is some of the work I've done so far starting with the engine.   

U0GxJl.jpg

l0IDQe.jpg

I painted the exhaust pipes with MRP exhaust metal.  I used various shades of pastels along with pigment fixer for weathering.  I should have taken for photos of the process...

vn3m4s.jpg

w1JcQV.jpg

Here is the engine all together with some weathering...

byjMty.jpg

nmca5y.jpg

yTpCz8.jpg

HF3MGP.jpg

Trumpeter did a nice job with the engine, too bad most of it will be covered up :(

Thanks for stopping by fellas

Bryan

Thanks for the comments fellas.  I'm really hoping I can pull this one off.  Trumpeter has really done a great job with this one so that helps in a big way.

Fantastic work, Bryan! The engine - and especially the exhausts - look amazing. And it looks much better than the engine that Trumpeter put into their F4U kit.

Kev

It really is a good engine Kev and it all fit with zero problems.  I wish I would have done the wires a bit different but I'm happy with it for the most part.

Bryan you may find some info in one of these manuals:

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/usa/grumman/tbmavenger.html

Jari

Thanks big time Jari!  I've spent countless hours searching for info on the Avenger but never ran across this.  I've already spent over an hour looking at them.

Great start Bryan! Like Kev said, the engine and the exhaust in particular look fantastic!
While not in the foreground, may I entice you with this drawing???

PDk3le.jpg

Cool pic, that would make a great diorama wouldn't it...

So I have the Eduard interior set which includes a color PE instrument panel but I just wasn't all that thrilled with it.  The Avionics IP wasn't too bad but I didn't think I could pull off hand painting the dials.  That and it was for the 1C version which is only slightly different.  I've always wanted to try making my own and since the particular panel wasn't overly complicated, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I used the PE panel as an outline and transferred it to thin plastic sheet.  I used part of the trumpeter instrument film for the top area but I had to rearrange a few things.  Using all that as a guide along with some refs, I punched out all the dials on the IP.  I used various sources for the film dials and I tried to match it to refs that I had.  It's not a perfect match but it's somewhat close.

After painting, I used Airscale placards along with some left overs from Barracuda's placards for the corsair and mustang.  Most of the placards are fictional but look the part and since I have to use magnification to read them, they should work just fine.  I still can't figure out how those guys are able to print something so small and still be legible!

b6dy9k.jpg

2tnZYL.jpg

647Hmy.jpg

9WezPD.jpg

This was the hard part since I have never attempted something like this before.  Surprisingly, it came out okay.

DWQUmR.jpg

I added the base and rudder pedals from parts of the Avionics pit.  They would have you glue the pedals to the cockpit floor but that wasn't close to what I had seen in my refs.

I have no idea what this part is but it was a prominent part of the IP.  I used my punch set to make the washer looking parts.

7txElG.jpg

Then I attached it to the rudder pedals.  Here it is all together...

EotXqP.jpg

Here is how it goes on the IP itself...

l2e6YU.jpg

Here is the finished product for the most part.  I still need to add a few lever handles and the padding that goes on the top..

cAQdRJ.jpg

e6iUSd.jpg

Thanks for stopping by fellas...

Bryan