Roden's Albatros D.III: Weathering, U/C, and some Rigging

Gazzas

Needlethreader?  I had to look it up.  I'm not sure I could get one into the holes of Bob's Buckles eyelets or tube.  Interesting thing to try, though.

Monofilament from a sewing shop?  Again, something new to me.  I'd have to go looking, and I'd want to know the diameter of the line before I buy it.  At least on the fishing line for sale at the local fishing place, there is a diameter on the front label.

Trying to work with fine parts and tiny holes or ultra-fine points of attachment.

Not easy for the large and clumsy.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

But I can't see the eyelet-holes nor the tube holes without wearing 3.5X reading glasses. 

So ...

I've discovered that the local fishing supply stores don't carry anything with a smaller diameter than .165MM. 

When you were at the supply store did you look for 'leader/tippet' line ?

It gets down to like .15mm

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22leader+tippet%22&lr=&as_qdr=all&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCnqeBhvXZAhVBhlQKHd3TAbMQsxgI3gE&biw=1232&bih=663

Build's looking real good from here :popcorn:

When you were at the supply store did you look for 'leader/tippet' line ?

It gets down to like .15mm

Build's looking real good from here :popcorn:

Mike,

Thank you!

I spent over an hour looking at spools of leader/tippet and mono line in one store.  Truly, the finest I could find was .165.  It's just a teeny-weeny bit too thick.  I went looking at discount stores, too and they didn't have anything finer, either.  Next time out I'll look at a sewing store and see what they have.  I'm sure learning a lot about places I can go to find materials for these biplanes.

Gaz

Gaz.....I've done a few of the WnW kits and find that using .003 monofilament works well. It will easily pass through the tube twice. Also, I wear an Optivizer and couldn't do the work without it. And, I have two pair of really good tweezers. I have gotten to where I can do the whole operation using only the tweezers. But, man, oh man, it took a lot of practice, LOTS of pieces sent into orbit and a LOT of cussing! Then more practice.  So don't be too tough on your self. What you're doing is not easy!!

Hang in there and keep at it!!

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

And, I have two pair of really good tweezers. 

I recently turned a pair of terrible tweezers into a pair of really good tweezers. About ten minutes of filing, bending and polishing and now they have some very fine flat points

I have a very nice pair of needle point pliers that I made from a £2 rusty pair from a car boot fair in the same way

Being able to make and modify tools is well worth learning

Richard