Would you purchase a clear resin canopy for the Bf110-G conversion set

Bill Cross

Who would buy a clear resin canopy for the Bf110-G Conversion?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a clear resin canopy to replace the vacuform one supplied in the kit

• Yes
    • No

I wonder (but not with much confidence) is making an  IM clear canopy in the same ball park as far as cost and failure rate goes?  I also assume it would, not unlike decals, require a substantial amount of copies purchased up front to even be able to talk about it realistically with any manu capable of doing an IM clear piece. 

Brian

I do not know costs about tooling injection, but I would suggest and almost know with certainty that for a reasonable quality metal mould tool the cost would possibly be in the region of £500-£1000.00 at least, that is taking the drawing, design and producing a metal cut injection tooling dies. Production material is cheap, pennies per canopy BUT you need a run of probably 500 for a smallish company to entertain a deal, and then you will pay the machine time.

Ali

I still believe there's a 500+ market each for a correct Trumpeter A-7 or Revell RF/F-4 clear canopy parts.

The WWII stuff is too mark/submark specific to be worthwhile.

Would I put my money where my mouth is? Yes, six-seven years ago. Too late now.

Tony

Just to add another small problem the EU (bless them) have banned the use of Mercury in all products, which means all the current clear casting resins are now unavailable so now it's back to getting a Mercury free system that works with the small sections we deal with !!!

Bob

Ali, Paul and Bob; thank you for that illuminating insight into the world of clear resin casting, what a nightmare! Armed with this knowledge the IM + vacuform combination, or just vacuform seems the only way to go.....so I'll just gird up my loins and get stuck in!

Max

The clever money is on  "eye of newt " for the next ban and that will B@%**r  thing right up 

On the positive side we are looking at 3D options with metal patterns But ????

Edited by Bob MDC

To answer the OP another way, I wouldn't consider buying any of these conversions if it has a vac canopy.

If there was a clear resin one that was *properly* reviewed with proof of clarity, accuracy and fit, then yes I would.

Sorry but can't stand vac!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick query on this idea ...

Did anyone contact the HpH team regarding this? ... Their kits still seem to be issued with the cleanest clear resin parts ... and they've done small correction type items previously.

Rog :)

Just a quick query on this idea ...

Did anyone contact the HpH team regarding this? ... Their kits still seem to be issued with the cleanest clear resin parts ... and they've done small correction type items previously.

Rog :)

Funny, i just asked the question in the HPH thread in the vendor forum... Especially about the Su-27 and A-7 canopies, but it also works for the Bf110...

I have their Spitfire Mk.V canopy correction, and most of their kits as well, and their clear resin parts are second to none (even to injected plastic parts).

Edited by Zero77

How many AIM sets have actually been sold? It looks great but the combined cost of a Dragon kit + conversion set is already only for the few dedicated.

And if its release pattern is anything to go by, Revell might revisit the G-4 within the next decade for under £60? I'd buy one.

Time, ironically, doesn't seem to matter to most LSP members (regardless of the fact that the majority are past life's halfway mark).

Maybe that patience is essential to making good models, and the wishlists and stashes are a mere byproduct of existence?

Probably needs to be bumped in five-ten years' time.

Tony

How many AIM sets have actually been sold? It looks great but the combined cost of a Dragon kit + conversion set is already only for the few dedicated.

Tony

If i remember correctly, the Dragon kit is about 110-120€ and the conversion around 100. It's still near the price or cheaper that a Tamiya Mossie, a HK B-25 or B-17, a Zoukei Mura Do335 or He219, or a WNW Felixstowe, without any aftermarket decals, resin accessories or metal gun barrels or antennas.

Not in the cheap range of kits indeed, but still in the range of fair "buyable" stuff.

Edited by Zero77