• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#31 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

As a dumb Yank, I didn't know there was an upside down on a Union flag.  I get the fin flash, that'd be embarrassing.

• TonyT likes this

image.jpg1_zpsubouqlgz.jpg

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#32 Martinnfb

Martinnfb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

actual plane in question.

media-388107.jpg?itok=FYeydvQmmedia-388047.jpg

XL2GeqP_zps3lufxod9.png
In progress:   D-13 ; Ta-152V7 ; Mig-29 ; EMIL ; P-39 Аэрокобра ; Avia S-199 ; K-14 what if

Done:            F-8 F-8 Wurger Party ; D-9 ; D-15; Ta-152E ;

#33 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

Clunk, thick white line is upper and goes to top left corner, but if you view it from the other side it is( as the US flag) reversed, IE as it would look on the flagpole.

as in

http://www.tomstakeo...-force-one2.png

and

http://www.airplanes...m-of-flight.jpg

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#34 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

tumblr_m6vi8yxysD1r9uyl8o1_500.gif

I spoke to my dad recently (WWII vet) about the mistake I made thinking an RAAF P40E was named Grace. He said "call one Grace anyway. Who's going to prove you wrong?"

Worth consideration.  :hmmm:

As an artist, I am finding some weird things in the modeling community and for a while it was getting to me. "That is not the werk #!" "That rivet detail is inaccurate."

Now think of it. No model looks like a real aircraft unless it's 1/1 scale.

As a newbie trying to "get it right", I discovered I felt pressure. But I'm an artist.

Bill Bruford (Great English drummer of King Crimson, Genesis, UK, Yes fame) stated in his autobiography how he had hired a top flight classical horn player to play on his first solo album. It turned out the guy HAD to have sheet music. He was simply unable to improvise. Which shocked Bill and Allan Holdsworth (RIP). They had to hurriedly write a chart.

That's kind of sad. We drummers improvise all the time. Modeling is artistic to a point, I have decided. I am starting to think it may be better to go against the flow. You want a purple zero? Go for it. The thing is plastic. 

Museum pieces are a different matter. In that case get it right.

I have noticed no person I know gives a rat's bum about my modeling. 

It's just a hobby. Not brain surgery or trying to prevent a war at the UN.

"These decals are wrong!"

Get a life. Or get laid. :)

Take no offence. I'm a drummer. :D

Generally speaking, our little hobby is all about accuracy, to a degree that each modeller decides upon himself. If somebody decides he wants an accurate model outside of a museum, who are you to tell him to "get a life"?

• Martinnfb and Peterpools like this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#35 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,596 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

One of my Photos of a Lockheed Electra

Elect4.jpg

I don't see where being upside down from this position, would make any difference to me. It looks to be a mirror image, either way.

• Martinnfb likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress: 1:24 Bf 109K-4, MiG-15, Soviet Ace, Fw 190F-8,

#36 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,596 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

re: using Rolls Royce labeled valve covers...

I raise my hand with a sheepish look on my face.

Don't feel like the lone ranger, Ernst. I once spent considerable effort to painstaking apply zimmerit to a 1:35 Jagdtiger (Henschel), only to subsequently discover that the Henschel Jagdtigers apparently never had zimmerit applied, only the Porsche units.

• Martinnfb and BiggTim like this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress: 1:24 Bf 109K-4, MiG-15, Soviet Ace, Fw 190F-8,

#37 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

The artwork artist has acknowledged the error and explained how it happened. Unfortunate, yes, but then crap happens sometimes. It isn't really the End of the World, is it? Must declare that the chap in question is an old buddy of mine.....
  • Hans, Martinnfb, BiggTim and 1 other like this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#38 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

I look at mistakes like this in comparison to what I do for a living (architecture). Since our clients are spending large sums of money for the buildings we design, they should expect a complete and accurate set of drawings to build from. I've been doing this a long time, and I still screw little things up on every project, to my eternal embarrassment. It happens to the best of us, and if I can be forgiven for making a mistake that cost thousands of dollars to fix, I think I can let a crappy decal or two for a 20 dollar kit go without losing sleep.
  • wunwinglow likes this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly)

On deck: Not certain.

Completed in 2015: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#39 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

I don't see where being upside down from this position, would make any difference to me. It looks to be a mirror image, either way.

It is all about thick and thin white lines, thick always goes up on the top left side of the flag... End off.
For what it's worth I often see lots in the UK hung the wrong way up and asking them who is in distress just brings on blank stares..... Official buildings can be the worst offenders, once went into a police station and being asked how they could help, I said for starters you could hang the bloody flag the right way up, mucho embarrassment all round as some plod was sent to correct it.

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#40 R Palimaka

R Palimaka

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

I don't think Kevin (Typhoonattack) meant any disrespect. But looking at the flag in the photo above, if you flip the flag the other way so that the bottom right corner will now be the top left, the thick part of the white will still be under the red cross...I think.

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

#41 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

Yes because as I said they have only produced or used one decal and it's the one for the other side, you could rotate that untill the cows came home and it wouldn't change a thing, the only way you would get it correct is to stick it on sticky side out. No offence taken :)

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 08:55 PM.

• R Palimaka likes this

#42 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

What you need is a flag with a bloody big dragon on it - then everybody knows which way is up.

1600px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

• R Palimaka, wunwinglow, Martinnfb and 3 others like this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#43 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

But the Union Jack IS your flag as well, as an English man I do not have a problem either with a Red Cross on a white background.

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#44 reconspit

reconspit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:29 PM

..very cool...:-)))
Katered_zpsa6abfa18.jpg
on the bench:
- Special Hobby T-2 Buckeye (Hellenic Air Force)
- ...?

#45 JM2112

JM2112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Seriously Airfix? It's 2017 for God's sake. It's not like the design specifications for the US national insignia aren't available with a five second Google search. Sheesh. The B-17G is a nice kit, but when I see boneheaded stuff like this, it makes me wonder how accurate the rest of the kit is. There's simply no excuse for this. The red outline is the correct proportions and size for the B-17 wing insignia. No excuse.

VXS9Xd.png

Yup, that's my handiwork and, long story short, I goofed.

I'd drawn the damn stars the correct proportions ages ago, in this instance I followed a line of research that suggested that - maybe - the ones on the B-17 were to a modified standard. Turns out that research was wrong and I repeated the error - my mistake and I'll hold my hands up and say it wasn't for want of lack of research, it's the opposite, I over-thought something and took a decision on inaccurate information thinking it was a hitherto unknown quirk.

Why did I follow that line of research? Well sometimes you follow leads that throw up new info, sometimes markings don't follow the set patterns - for example on the upcoming RAF boxing of the B-17 there's a note on the layouts pointing out that the fuselage roundels were to non-standard proportions, just in case someone thinks the artist doesn't know what a C1 roundel looks like.

And it's not that I don't check things with people like Roy Sutherland, Lynn Ritger, Chris Bucholtz and especially Karl Hauffe who helped with so much great gen for Skyway Chariot and B-17 stencils in general.

Sometimes stuff just slips through the radar despite the best intentions, and the self-set bar is always held high when it comes to accuracy and completeness.

So yeah, my gaff and that erroneous star-and-bar artwork has since been junked.

That's what happened.

• alaninaustria, Derek B, Kagemusha and 12 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users