Photobucket trying it on............ again!

PhilB

Go SmugMug gents. They have a free trial too. It's a pay site (I think I'm at $50 - 70 a year) but TOTALLY worth it. Easy to navigate, can link to a web domain address and some of the coolest features around w/No restrictions what so ever on 3rd party hosting nor the number of things/pics/vids you can upload.

Guest The Southern Bandit

What a mess ... use Imgur too now, pretty sure I've used them recently for here for occasional image sharing?

What is going on, in laymans terms? ... is it if you use the pictures for regular thread stuff or what?

Totally confused? :)

What really is the best image hosting site these days? they all seem to be moving the goalposts and its hard to keep up ... Photobucket no more though, LOL

I guess guys the free image hosting days are over, for reliability at least ... wonder what the best option will be once the dust settles?

I dont mind paying a fair price for a fair service ... but Photobucket is a lesson we all need to learn from, millions of memorys and pictures lost in their grasp for cash :(

One thing that gets missed in all these Photobucket threads is that Photobucket SUCKS to begin with!!  My account is still valid until August, but every time I log into my account it's SLOW as hell and I keep getting pop-up ads, for my PAID account!  I was having these same issues with PB before the June ransom announcement, which turned out to be a good thing for me, because I'm now using ImageShack instead.  It's smoking fast and I can display pics a lot wider than 1,024 pixels wide without any hassle, pop-up ads and other crap.

For laughs, here's a pic on Photobucket.  This upload took 12 seconds.

GlossCoat11.jpg

And now ImageShack, uploaded the very same as PB above, in 2 seconds.  Which one would you rather look at?

IIBd2g.jpg

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

One thing that gets missed in all these Photobucket threads is that Photobucket SUCKS to begin with!!  My account is still valid until August, but every time I log into my account it's SLOW as hell and I keep getting pop-up ads, for my PAID account!  I was having these same issues with PB before the June ransom announcement, which turned out to be a good thing for me, because I'm now using ImageShack instead.  It's smoking fast and I can display pics a lot wider than 1,024 pixels wide without any hassle, pop-up ads and other crap.

Chuck

Exactly, I am using imageshack as well. super fast, not like the slug slime photobucket . 

"We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days."

Right here is the catch.  I downloaded everything I had I wanted to save, and uploaded to Imgur.  Then I find out Imgur has the same clause and I cannot use it on websites flagged by them because they have a classified forum as we have here.

I  don't mind paying a fee, but I want to try a site out first and see how user friendly it is.  Imgur burned me on this since it is not the easiest to navigate.  Using my phones app, I cannot figure out how to get to my images.

At the peak of the PB extortion debacle, there were posts here flagging that « free Â» image-hosting sites like Imgur had a « no-third-party hosting Â» clause in their ToS. This and the « social network Â» style of Imgur were enough to put me off. But I pefectly understand that some have chosen Imgur and are happy with it. Each to his own... For me, like Brian, I am very happy with SmugMug.

Hubert

I didn't pay for Photobucket so I'm out nothing. So I guess I got what I paid for.... That said, it's nice they agreed to honor the service people did pay for. I suppose people using photo-sharing sites for business will have to treat them like any other service supplier. The cost and time will have to be accounted for in their overhead.

Guest Peterpools

It's hard to believe I still receive emails from PB, with exciting new offers and loads of other ploys. Only good thing about their emails:

My delete key - works perfctly every time.

Peter