Revell Bf 109G-10 Erla - *Finished*

b737flyer

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm normally an armor guy but it seems I'm more interested in aircraft as of late so I thought I'd share my latest project. I've seen a few of the Revell Bf 109's built very well and thought I would give one a go. There's also plenty of aftermarket available which satisfies my habit as well.  :rolleyes:

jCxJDeV.jpg

Work started with the cockpit and I added a few details with styrene and small diameter solder wire. I can't vouch for the accuracy  - I used several online references and a little bit of "gizmology" to busy things up a bit. The gun cover had a nasty seam that required removal of some of the detail and this was replaced with styrene strip and rod.. The seat is BarracudaCast's excellent resin offering and is a drop-in replacement. 

Satisfied with the work I airbrushed the cockpit parts with Gunze Mr. Color RLM66 followed by a lightened shade to add some highlights and create shadows. The various details were then picked out using Vallejo acrylics. Next up is the addition of placards and some weathering.

cGD4gjl.jpg

Cc592G1.jpg

2vQaL51.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words! This is turning out to be a fun project and a nice change of pace.

Cockpit work continues - after a light coat of Future placards and instruments from Airscale were added. These were then sealed with another light coat of Future and then everything was given a wash using Ammo of Mig Oilbrusher "Starship Filth" paint thinned with mineral spirits. After giving it a few days to dry chips and scratches were added with a Prismacolor silver pencil. The floor and rudder were then dirtied up with a thin wash of Humbrol Sand enamel paint. The light spots where the paint has been removed on the seat back are areas that needed relief when dry fitting the panel behind the seat. I still need to do some more detail painting on the instrument panel and add the HGW seat belts.

cS9Y9ls.jpg

YQKWpL2.jpg

P4H3LDg.jpg

Holy sheep! Some great work on display. Some good work on the cockpit walls in particular.

Your AM addiction is severe. I can spot a fellow sufferer from some distance. You look like you've invested (I love that word) around twice as much again as the kit cost?

Holy sheep! Some great work on display. Some good work on the cockpit walls in particular.

Your AM addiction is severe. I can spot a fellow sufferer from some distance. You look like you've invested (I love that word) around twice as much again as the kit cost?

"Hi, my name is Jeremy, and I'm an aftermarket addict."  :) I keep telling myself, "But I only paid $20 for the kit...!"

Thanks for the kind words. 

I managed to get the HGW seatbelts installed and the rest of the detail painting finished up. The HGW seatbelts are a bit fiddly but are well worth the effort in my opinion. Incidentally these represent the late war belts made of Orlon material and are a different color (more green than brown/khaki) than what you typically see. Time to close it up!

KRAnS0N.jpg

7UygbFR.jpg