Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

Starfighter, it's all because of you :) I have to try to even the score at the next model show :)

I started the A-7 by cutting and dry fitting some resin

A6A7_004_A7_cockpit.png

The BB cockpit seems decent enough and doesn't cause any fit issue this far. By the looks of it it should fit in the fuselage pretty nicely.
Looks like it has the early escapac seat though so I'm in the market for a late seat/ Luckily quickboost have them so it shouldn't be too hard to get one.

It's a shame really because the escapac seat even fits the ejection seat rails of the resin cockpit :)

A6A7_005_A7_intake.png

The intake lip from Zactoman seem easy enough to install as well.  The nose might be a bit harder to install - especially saving the refuelling receptacle, 

A6A7_006_A7_intake.png

As I said I don't have the full Zacto intake so I'll cut the kit's parts and adapt the Zactoman lip.

First thing to do for that is to fill the moulding pins inside the intake trunk. 

Edited by red Dog

I'm not really a fan of in-flight models, but this WIP i wanna follow, just because i am really curious how you gonna tackle this whole in-flight diorama.

I'm into an in-flight trend with my models for the moment :) After all aircraft are meant to be in the air. 

The corsair really looks heavy and grumpy on the ground, it's much more sleek airborne imho.

Some examples

F-16_hasegawa_final1.png

1/48 F-16

056_final.jpg

1/48 Rafales

GD_F18C_99_final.jpg

1/32 F-18

EF2000_081_revell_final.jpg

1/32 EF2000

That said I don't know how I'll handle this one yet. 

The corsair will probably be very low on a long thin base and the intruder will need to be high, So the real challenge is going to be on the intruder side.

I'll obviously have to use 2 poles, one for each aircraft. 

The whole trick is to work with their center of gravity and maintain dynamic stances of the supporting poles. I usually use tranparent acrylics, but here I'll need something stronger.

Edited by red Dog

Thanks for following gents

I'm not sure I'll use a picture of the ground. I'm very bad at such scaling effect and I mostly look at my models from the side and not quite from above. 

I usually keep my base simple and minimalist.

Hey Mitko aka Eagle Driver, glad to see you in here mate :)

Yep Fred, it's a proven support design for a refuelling.

Progress has been slow this week.(I'm a weekend modeller)

As per Zacto's instruction I cut 0.225 inches of the kit's forward intake trunk. 

A6A7_007_A7_intake.png

With 0.225' out I still had a few clearance issue of the intake trunk and zacto's part mainly on the nose. The trunk was still a bit too long to fit correctly.

The intake trunk is held in place in the fuselage by 4 alignement holes, so the cut has to be precise.
Careful sanding of the forward trunk will then be required until fitting is acceptable

A6A7_008_A7_intake.png

A6A7_010_A7_intake.png

With dryfitting you clrearly realise the purpose of the adaptor's part in resin. It's meant to shape correctly the internal trunk to the new mounth of the intake? Very clever.

A6A7_009_A7_intake.png

I'll glue first the trunk to the resin part and let it set in a clamp to ensure it takes the shape correctly. Then the fun sanding part will begin.

A6A7_011_A7_intake.png

Dryfitting the resin tub pointed to a conflict between the trunk and the resin cockpit at the back end. No big deal, the resin can be easily adjusted to clear the intake trunk.

I don't have a lot of detail pictures for the A-7 so I quickly sourced the mini Fox2 book over A-7 in Hellenic AF. (FTM002) 

ftm002.png

Although it's greek sluffs, part of them are A-7E and there are some interesting pictures in there. Great modeller reference.

Beside it reminded me how found I actually am of that airframe and I might even be tempted to build a greek weathered bomb truck :)

Edited by red Dog