FINISHED: Spitfire IIa, P7834 RY:F, 313 (Czechoslovak) Sqn, 1941

MikeC

Some slow progress:  I cleaned the airframe, masked the cockpit, and shot a coat of Tamiya grey primer from the can.  I've found a few minor defects to be refilled and dealt with, and the filler is just drying, so the plan for the Easter weekend (in between family and other stuff) will be to clean up and reprime these defects, and make a start on the paint job.

I have had a couple of setbacks.  The rudder actuator (part 87) went AWOL, in fact I think it's deserted.  So I dug out a couple of odd bits of plastic and a length of sprue, and fashioned a replacement.  Then the tailwheel, which as you know if you've built the kit has to be trapped between the fuselage halves, suffered the almost inevitable breakage, which meant fixing it: I went for a metal pin - actually a small length of paperclip - in this case, and had a fiddly time drilling holes to pin the leg.  It's just as well I never thought of a career as an orthopaedic surgeon!  Neither of these was a particularly big or even overly difficult job to fix, but it does add to the time taken.

I'm hoping to post some more pics over the weekend.

Well I promised pics, here's a couple, primed from a rattle can of Tamiya grey primer, and ready for her paintwork. 

WP_20160325_15_58_21_Pro_zpscyvm50hm.jpg

WP_20160325_15_57_59_Pro_zpsancg7ray.jpg

Since I took these I've indulged in a bit of gentle pre-shading here and there, and painted the sky band on the rear fuselage.

Edited by MikeC

Morning Max,

Thanks, and yes, I'm very much a note maker.  I work on one of those A2 pads I remember so well from my working days - "breakout" sessions, brainstorming, whatever on a flipchart - and jot down notes as I go.  Saves ending up with models like my Tamiya 1:48 Beaufighter, where the gunsight has been removed for maintenance, ie I forgot to fit it before adding the canopy.

I don't know how you guys do it. My workspace was n't even that neat when I bought it new. Now, I work on three square inches of a table top with the rest coverd in all kinds of detritus.

I can definitely see the advantage of working in your style when it turns out so beautifully smooth.

Nice work Mike.

Cheers.

Progress!  I've sprayed the underside and topside medium sea and ocean grey resepctively, now masking up for the green.  This subject would have been recently painted at the repair contractor, who may well have used rubber mat masks, another piece of "Edgar Info" I've used in this model.  Thus, I'm doing hard edges. 

WP_20160331_11_35_40_Pro_zpsque4zxk2.jpg

WP_20160331_11_35_34_Pro_zpsvphkuad0.jpg

It's the first time I've used the bendy Tamiya tape for this, it's great!

Looks great!    I too recently bought all 3 slim line flexible tape thicknesses from Tamiya.  I have to admit they were expensive as hell, but totally worth it. 
Honestly some of the best, most flexible properly sealing tape I have ever used. 

Camouflage on, masking off.  I love that moment when the masking comes off and you can hopefully see  something starting to look how you'd imagined the model.  Pics later I hope.  The next job is to mask and spray some yellow leading edges and walkway lines.

Incidentally, top tip if you use Tamiya acrylics: when you mix the paint for the airbrush, add some X-22 gloss.  I can't remember where I heard this now, but it works.  It seems to make the paint more durable, and as an added bonus you end up with a semi-gloss finish, so you're halfway there for the decals.

:piliot:

Incidentally, top tip if you use Tamiya acrylics: when you mix the paint for the airbrush, add some X-22 gloss.  I can't remember where I heard this now, but it works.

I've recommended it a few times, but often forget to do it myself! The main benefit of it is that it eliminates the inherent tendency to chalkiness that Tamiya's flat acrylics have. Trying to spray them over a super smooth glossy base (primer, for example) can produce the following result:

file-109.jpg

Kev

Camouflage on, masking off.  I love that moment when the masking comes off and you can hopefully see  something starting to look how you'd imagined the model.  Pics later I hope.  The next job is to mask and spray some yellow leading edges and walkway lines.

Incidentally, top tip if you use Tamiya acrylics: when you mix the paint for the airbrush, add some X-22 gloss.  I can't remember where I heard this now, but it works.  It seems to make the paint more durable, and as an added bonus you end up with a semi-gloss finish, so you're halfway there for the decals.

:piliot:

Well, don't keep us in suspense!!

Don

Well, don't keep us in suspense!!

Don

Sorry, no progress today, and unlikely to be any tomorrow. Today a bit of gentle gardening and other stuff, tomorrow Cosford show and it's on the limit of my self-imposed range, 100-odd miles single journey. Monday helping my eldest move house. Life, eh?