Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk IA, UPDATE 01/31/16

Barry

Working with the intel provided by others. :thumbsup:

I am working on getting the dihedral correct and getting as clean a fit between the wings and fuselage as possible...I do not like filler!

I have also been working on the exhaust stacks as the kit has the fishtail stacks and the earlier Spitfires were fitted with the same stacks as the early Hurricanes. I am using a set of stacks from the Trumpeter Hurricane Mk I and hoping Harold will help me and cast a set. I figure if I add the weld beads then perhaps others will be able to use them as well.

Barry

Hi Barry,

It's been a long time since I built this model. I remember the joy at unwrapping it under the Christmas tree all of those years ago.

Back then I ws amazed by all of the detail in these uber kits as I was used to building the Airfix 1/72nd scale kits which just gave a couple of pins for the pilot figure to sit on.

Nice of you to re-work the exhausts for other's to use too. Good job.

This will be a treat to follow so good luck with the build.

Cheers.

With lots of guidance from Steve, Chek and R Brown here is my update.

Working with an idea built upon advice from Steve and Chek about getting the  dihedral correct I cut a small groove down the center of the lower wing. I then bent the center section upward on either side of the center making the center section flat. I glue a stiffener across and weighted it down to hold it flat while the glue cured overnight. This set the dihedral pretty close to 6 degrees outboard of the center section.

Pic%201_zpswjz2pypv.jpg

Next came eliminating the warp in the lower wing outboard section both L & R sides. I first added a piece of plastic tubing with a piece of brass tubing inside it. I secured the brass tubing at what would be the inboard end of the plastic tubing with CA. After gluing the plastic tube to the wing and letting it cure I imparted an upward bend to eliminate the warp then added CA to the outboard end.

The section outboard of the 3rd gun position was still warped so I added two more sections of smaller tubing with a brass rod inserted and secured in the center one. Once I bent this piece most all of the warp had been eliminated and what is left will straighten out once the upper wing half is glued to it.

Pic%203_zps50osfxg6.jpg

Next came the fit of the ailerons again with advice from R Brown referencing the section outboard of the outboard hinge point. It should have an angle racked aft and you can see from the before picture it is not though the aileron itself has the angled section the wing does not.

Pic%204_zpsorgqoqew.jpg

I added as section of 0.030†thick styrene to the forward side of the aileron (cord dimension) to close up the large gap to the wing which is there to allow the aileron to operate but looks BAD. I also found the lower wing just forward of the left aileron to be too narrow I cord so I also added sections of 0.030†x 0.060: strip between the hinges to widen the wing.

Pic%206_zpsyyqa1y8f.jpg

Pic%205_zps2vo7hqt9.jpg

PC240366A_zpsrwpkbdhh.jpg

After accomplishing that I added sections of styrene strip to the wing between the outboard hinge and the outboard end of the aileron opening upper and lower wing sections. I angled it as advised as well as to match the aileron.

Pic%207_zpsci5avpvl.jpg

End result

Pic%208_zpsjnhyodzk.jpg

Pic%209_zpsvh2hs00c.jpg

Now for the other aileron which due to the better fit to the lower wing opening will not require as much work but will require the angled sections be added and well as the widening of the aileron cord.  I have also fitted though not glued the LH upper wing gun access covers. One or two will need some styrene strip to make them fit better.

TAFN

Barry

Thanks Iain I believe it will turnout OK!

That's a great fix Barry.....not sure I fully understand it but a great fix nonetheless! :)

Max

Max,

Here is the issue with the aileron fit.....I understand why, to allow for the movable surface. The "huge" gap will not do at all for my build.

PC280357_zpsciwyodpa.jpg

Edited by Barry