Two very early Kingtigers

fam43

Hi,

because I'm still fighting my deseaseI can't do fine modellwork so this is the right time to show two vignettes of some 30 year old Nichimo Tigers I brushed up last summer.

I found this two monsters via internet.

tigerii01.jpg

t25y.jpg

A good friend of me was electrified when he saw this pictures. " Whow this are two of the remote controll transmitter tanks they tried out"! As it was, the idea to use such a large tank to controll tiny charge carriers was moronic. The two tanks were on the way back to normal tankbusiness when they were lost. They were very early Kingtigers which differed not only by having the 18 teeth dreive sprocker and early tracks.

That is what I found in a long forgotten bag.

tigerii01.jpg

Edited by fam43

Here is another pic of number 11 a little bit more dry.

tigerii02.jpg

But back to modelling. The Nichimo tanks have solid engine covers. Didn't like this and dived into my sparebox.

this Dragon tank didn't need his one for obvious rasons.

2002lbeck10.jpg

The second came from a dinosaur Tamiyatank.

First I did the 88. I embedded a meat skever to give strenght and some tube to get inner detail.

tigerii02.jpg

Up into a slow turning drill.

tigerii06.jpg

Number 11 will need some inner hull detail while number 02 is so kind to hide all with his turret over hang. thanks number 02!

2010tigerii04.jpg

You don't see to much through the hatches so I keep detailing on a low level.

tigerii8.jpg

The interior of the turret got a little bit more attention.

tigerii9.jpg

First test.

You don't see to much through the hatches so I keep detailing on a low level.

tigerii8.jpg

The interior of the turret got a little bit more attention.

tigerii9.jpg

First test.

23w1izb.jpg

Some improvements to the paintjob and this will do it.

atigerii1.jpg

2002lbeck10.jpg

1. I have never seen a barrel configuration like that before on a Jagdtiger;... what's the story?

2. I've always been a fan of the King Tiger, but not the Porsche designed versions so much. I'll watch with interest however, as we can never have enough heavy armor.

this is not a mystery barrel configuration typhoonattack1 but a blown out barrel. Found this pic on a USArmy site in the web.

2r7yr68.jpg

Only few got this early sprocket track configuration. With the new nine teeth sprocket they needed a complete different track too. At the end of the war a new 18 teeth sprocket was introduced with a third new track.

No. 11 got ome more detail.

atigerii2.jpg

2010tigerii18.jpg

2010tigerii19.jpg

Edited by fam43

this is not a mystery barrel configuration typhoonattack1 but a blown out barrel. Found this pic on a USArmy site in the web.

2r7yr68.jpg

Interesting. I have a fair amount of data which includes lots of photos of Jagdtigers blown up by their crews, but had never seen this beore. Thanks.

Some white paint to accent details.

tigerii1.jpg

The rear bulkhead was fixed to the upper hull.

tigerii3.jpg

A test shot reveales you can't see much through the hatches. :cry:

tigerii5.jpg

Now how I do Zimmerit:

I use a water soluble modelling clay. These are german brands but I'm sure you will get this worldwide.

3866356132616338.jpg

2010tigerii53.jpg

Just an example why I favor this water soluble stuff.

2010tigerii08.jpg

I forgot outer hulldetails. No problem 5 minutes soaked in water and off went the "Zimmerit" to rectify my forgetfulness.

2010tigerii11.jpg

Edited by fam43

Initially I wanted this to be a low budget projekt. Well the early tracks cancelled this. 50,-€ for two Friul tracks. Usually you pay this for one Drgon tank so the costs are fair still.

What an imposition to thread this tiny parts together. I used up four days of cursing and despair to do the four tracks.

2010tigerii82.jpg

Finished!

tigerii04.jpg :P

Meanwhile I prepared the baseplate for number 11. I used the same stuff as for the Zimmeri. It's light and cheap.

t21ev.jpg

As I told you number 02 dosn't need inner detail in the hull because the turret overhang covers the hatches. :)

2010tigerii73.jpg

To make things even more easier I blackened the solid bottom of the Nichimo and added a rudimentary gun breech. The round screens are from upused water strainers the others are fotoetch parts.

2010tigerii80.jpg

Ready to mount.

2010tigerii82.jpg

Back to number11. Have to remove one or two track links it's too flimsy. the exhaust pipes are special for this early cats.

tigerii6.jpg

The nightfighters of the army? I usually cover my tanks with black primer.

2010tigerii83.jpg

2010tigerii85.jpg

Some more pics.

2010tigerii86.jpg

2010tigerii88.jpg

Now in warpaint:

The tracks aren't made for the Nichimo dinosaurs and will need much adjustment when placed on the vignette.

dscf0084p.jpg

dscf0090b.jpg

dscf0085x.jpg

And number 02:

dscf0099f.jpg

dscf0100j.jpg

dscf0101vo.jpg

dscf0102r.jpg